It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3 Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 12:58 pm

We actually obtained permission from Jan Quintus Zwart to feature Psalm 146 on the Hauptwerk home page flash video as well as to use it and other Zwart pieces for the MDA site demos page. You might just try contacting him if you are in doubt, he is very friendly and would most likely allow you to use the music.

www.jqz.nl
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

adri

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 pm

I will be at the LOC before the end of this month and will make copies if it's there.

Thanks.

P.S. I was speaking of the Dutch situation

phulshof

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 2:00 pm

adri wrote:Since Jan Zwart had sons, who became famous organists as well, and since they had sons, etc., I think the entire music collection is protected by this Zwart family, and will not be in the public domain for some time to come.

I'm sorry, but this is simply incorrect. Copyright duration in Europe is defined as 70 years post mortem of the author. The same goes for the US, since these works were not defined as works for hire, and as stated above: in the US, works published before 1923 are automatically in the public domain.

phulshof

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 2:08 pm

adri wrote:P.S. I was speaking of the Dutch situation

Dutch copyright law, article 37.

adri

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 4:52 pm

To phulshof:

How would you translate-interpret Article 2 of this copyright law?

Thanks.

polikimre

PostWed Sep 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Without knowing the particulars of Dutch copyright law, there's also the copy right of the publisher. So the work may be in public domain, but a certain edition may still be under copyright.

For an extensive list of copyright laws in certain countries see http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain.

phulshof

PostThu Sep 17, 2009 12:37 am

adri wrote:How would you translate-interpret Article 2 of this copyright law?

That for the duration for the copyright (70 years post mortem), copyright is transferred down the family, entirely or in part, and it may be sold via the proper transfer papers. Transferring thus does not change the duration.

pilikimre wrote:Without knowing the particulars of Dutch copyright law, there's also the copy right of the publisher. So the work may be in public domain, but a certain edition may still be under copyright.

As far as I know, the Netherlands, like most European countries, does not issue a copyright for re-publishing a musical score..

Fokko

PostMon Sep 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Brett,
I am so curious for the new voices of Volume 3, especially the Vox Humana with tremulant. Do you have some demo's yet ready? That would be great.
Thanks!
Fokko Horst

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 pm

phulshof wrote:

I'd translate it as "it's just as easy to buy it for EU 6.50, and get a good bound and readable copy" (which is what I did) than it is to argue on and on about whether it should be public domain and free or not :-)
Grant

phulshof

PostMon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:
phulshof wrote:

I'd translate it as "it's just as easy to buy it for EU 6.50, and get a good bound and readable copy" (which is what I did) than it is to argue on and on about whether it should be public domain and free or not :-)

Although I ordered a copy of my own, I still disagree with your statement. The public domain is a very important thing, and is under constant threat of being diminished over expanding copyright. I find both the rights and the limits of copyright very important to keep an eye on.

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Sep 21, 2009 6:06 pm

phulshof wrote:[
Although I ordered a copy of my own, I still disagree with your statement. The public domain is a very important thing, and is under constant threat of being diminished over expanding copyright. I find both the rights and the limits of copyright very important to keep an eye on.

I agree, to the extent that if you're happy with a scanned copy in an 8 1/2" x11" pdf loose pages, that's fine, too. The guys printing and binding the music, do indeed, regardless of copyright expiry, deserve a little something for their efforts :-)

Which was my only point ....
Grant

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostMon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Brett,
I am so curious for the new voices of Volume 3, especially the Vox Humana with tremulant. Do you have some demo's yet ready? That would be great.
Thanks!

Hello Fokko,

We plan to have new demos quite soon (with a special surprise).
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Michael

PostTue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 am

B. Milan wrote:
Hi Brett,
Thanks!

Hello Fokko,

We plan to have new demos quite soon (with a special surprise).

Will the release still take place in this month?
Regards,

Michael

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3 Released

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the release of the 3rd and final volume of the Bovenkerk Hinsz for Hauptwerk.

MDA-Boven3L.jpg

Introductory offer

An introductory offer giving a 10% discount is applied to the pricing on our order page. All volume I+II users may take advantage of this discount as well as new users looking to purchase the complete set. We have also added the discount to the complete set when ordering a new Hauptwerk license as a bundle option, this is a good deal above the normal 3% and 7% discounts for bundle orders that we normally offer.

If you have volume I and would like to upgrade to volume III please add volume II to the shopping cart (which is required in order to use volume III) then order volume III at the discounted rate in the same order and you will still receive the special introductory offer for this volume.

Please visit http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/order.htm for pricing and ordering.

We've not set an end date for this discount offer just yet, but be sure to look for news on that if you are waiting to purchase this set since it won't last indefinitely!

Volume III ships on a single DVD-ROM and will go out this coming Monday.

Some brief notes about volume III.

Couplers

We've taken the liberty to substitute the Rugwerk's Schokbalg stop with a Bovenwerk to Rugwerk coupler. The Schokbalg feature is used on the real organ to help steady the wind supply to the Rugwerk which shares reservoirs with the pedaal division. Since we are not dealing with real wind and can virtually supply enough wind to the Rugwerk we felt users would appreciate this extra coupler in place of it.

Afsluiters

We've enabled the Afsluiter for the Bovenwerk manual which allows you to engage stops on the Bovenwerk 1 without hearing them when this stop is turned off. The Bovenwerk 2 division can be played as normal, then Bovenwerk 1 stops can all be added at once when activating the Afsluiter coupler. The other afsluiters are hard coded to stay on since they aren't generally used on the real organ.

Sampled Vox Humana tremulants

All notes of the Vox Humana were sampled both with and without tremulant. Engaging the tremulant on the Bovenwerk manual will switch between these two sets of samples. Please listen to the demos to hear the absolute realism of using the sampled tremulant notes.

Virtual Console

You can see the new virtual console above. The entire console is fully functional allowing you to interact with the stops, keyboards and pedals by mouse clicks or MIDI input (and the usual hidden Easter egg of course!). The previous full view and left and right displays are also now complete with the full set of stops.

As time permits we'll post a video demo so users may see the console in action.

Memory

Here is a list of memory requirements for loading the entire set with all samples and sound effects which is also duplicated on our website:

Volume III
Volume III-16 bit, single loops, compressed 5.9 GB
Volume III-(Default) 16 bit, multiple loops, compressed 6.5 GB
Volume III-20 bit, single loops, compressed 9.9 GB
Volume III-20 bit, multiple loops, compressed 11.3 GB
Volume III-24 bit, multiple loops, uncompressed 19.1 GB

Volume III Extended Edition
Volume III-16 bit, single loops, compressed 6 GB
Volume III-(Default) 16 bit, multiple loops, compressed 6.9 GB
Volume III-20 bit, single loops, compressed 10.9 GB
Volume III-20 bit, multiple loops, compressed 12.5 GB
Volume III-24 bit, multiple loops, uncompressed 20.5 GB

We're quite pleased with these memory requirements considering an acoustic of up to 7 seconds and a 55 rank organ with long samples and up to 6 or more loops per sample. Several of the new volume III demos were done by the organists in 16 bit, or a combination of 16 bit and 24 bit (reeds and mixtures at 24 bit for demos by Boogaard). Thus you do not need to feel that you must only load at 24 bit to achieve a high quality sound. Also remember that 20 bit compressed is nearly as good in quality as 24 bit, so this is the recommended option for those who have 16GB of RAM.

Thank you and we hope you enjoy this new addition to the Hauptwerk library! As always if there are any questions please just let me know either here or via email and I'll be happy to answer them for you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3 Released

PostSat Oct 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Congratulation Brett,

Wonderful work to be able to load this 4 manuals in an 8GB computer. Thanks to the many options within the loading screen, even with 8Gb you will be able to load some stops at 20bits, and other less important (or less noticable) with single loops/14 bits etc.

I like the fact that some of the newer sample sets (Trost and now Bovenkerk) will run within a really reasonable computer.

Great work and good luck with it!
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments