It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

INSTALLING OBERWERK

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

David Prior

INSTALLING OBERWERK

PostSun Nov 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Have followed the instructions but get no further than creating a file. It says and names my organ xml file, then Save, but I cannot get it any further to produce a playable custom organ in spite of the fact it shows up in the Organ definition file.. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: INSTALLING OBERWERK

PostSun Nov 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Hello David,

Did you also install the Compenius sample set? It sounds like you overlooked that. Oberwerk itself is a separate installer than the included samples so you need to also install the included sample set. Please insert the Oberwerk DVD, then in Hauptwerk go to File | Install organ, temperament... navigate to the DVD drive where your Oberwerk DVD is then choose the Compenius installation files. You need to install each of these files through the Hauptwerk component installer.

Once installed, after you create the ODF in Oberwerk and then save it to the proper location (OrganDefinitions folder in the Hauptwerk directory) it will load the specified samples from the installed Compenius sample set.

Please let me know if that helps.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

AlbanyMusician

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 7:48 pm

Hello. I know this is terribly old, but I still have great hopes of being able to revive my copy of Oberwerk and the Compenius 2 organ that came with it. I understand the programmer is no longer active.

I was using this happily on version 4 of Hauptwerk, and unknowingly lost it with HW Ver 5 and 7. Had I known that, I might not have chosen to upgrade, or at least made arrangements to keep my Ver 4 license and dongle safe.

Is there any way (I still have the Oberwerk program and all the files), I can translate it or upload it into HW ver 7? I still really want to be able to use those organs!

Or, can I buy an old HW Ver 4 license (I still have a dongle for that with the old license erased) and at least revive it on another computer apart from my HW Ver 7 machine? Once installed could I then export it in a form that might (I hope!) move up to HW Ver 7.

mdyde

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 5:16 am

Hello AlbanyMusician,

I don't have first-hand experience with Oberwerk v2, but I know that it was made by Yves Petit-Clerc quite a few years ago and distributed by MDA at the time, and that it came in two parts:

- The Oberwerk v2 software, which is a separate software application that generates (non-encrypted) organ definition XML files in Hauptwerk v2 format. Since it's separate software from Hauptwerk, upgrading Hauptwerk to v7 shouldn't alter your Oberwerk installation, and Hauptwerk v7 is backwardly-compatible with v2-format organ definition files, so Oberwerk v2 and the organ definition files it generates should themselves still work with Hauptwerk v7.

- The Compenius v2 sample set, which is a library of sample ranks that were also included for use in Oberwerk v2's generated organ definitions. I've had a look, and the sample set was encrypted Hauptwerk v2-v4 format. Since Hauptwerk v5+ can't load pre-v5 encrypted sample sets, a version of the sample set encrypted for v5+ would need to be installed in order to be able to use the sample set in v5+. It doesn't appear that MDA currently has a download for a v5+ version of it in the main instruments downloads list: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988 . I'll enquire whether one is available and we'll let you know.

[I'll move this topic to the 'Instruments' section of the forum once you've had a chance to read it.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments