It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

Hauptwerk Version IV Licence

Hauptwerk and sample sets *not* permitted. Audio and MIDI hardware for use with Hauptwerk, organ consoles, parts, computer equipment.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Hauptwerk Version IV Licence

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 am

Does anyone have the now obsolete Version IV licence for sale?
I need a backup licence with dongle.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk Version IV Licence

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 8:15 am

Hello Antoni,

MDA doesn't allow Hauptwerk licences (or sample set licences) to be resold via the forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11867 -- sorry.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 8:25 am

Hello Martin:
Sorry about that. I thought Version IV was obsolete and not supported any more.
I am working on finding a Mac technician to perform an upgrade to Version VI.
So far, unsuccessful.

I do have a question: Can all my Version IV sample sets all be played on Version VI without doing any migrating/conversions/ etc to these sample sets ?

Antoni

mdyde

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 10:16 am

Antoni Scott wrote:I am working on finding a Mac technician to perform an upgrade to Version VI.
So far, unsuccessful.

I do have a question: Can all my Version IV sample sets all be played on Version VI without doing any migrating/conversions/ etc to these sample sets ?

Antoni

Hello Antoni,

I've replied in your previous topic on upgrading here (so that the relevant background can be found easily):

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19814#p148673
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:03 pm

Martin Dyde:
So far I have not been successful in finding anybody willing to do an upgrade for me. It's not very encouraging.

I do have one question: I'm not sure if I asked before , or was informed before, but will all my unencrypted sample sets be transferable to Version VI without using the "migration" procedure ? Can I just install the unencrypted sample sets into Version VI as if it was a Version IV ?

Antoni

mdyde

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:18 pm

Hello Antoni,

I've replied in your topic on upgrading here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19814&p=151409#p151409
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 7:04 am

Hello Antoni,

MDA doesn't allow Hauptwerk licences (or sample set licences) to be resold via the forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11867 -- sorry.
Best regards, Martin.

Did MDA change their policy ? I see two VPO's for sale. One says 3 manual 4.1 Hauptwerk on May 16,2023.

mdyde

PostSun Jun 25, 2023 12:11 pm

Hello Antoni,

No -- MDA's policy is still the same in that respect, i.e. reselling Hauptwerk licences themselves isn't allowed via this forum.

I've posted now a note to that effect in the forum topic you mentioned. Thanks for pointing that one out.
Best regards, Martin.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 5:39 am

You're welcome. No Problem.

I just found it interesting that you immediately responded to my previous email when I was also looking to purchase an old obsolete, unsupported licence last year but allowed this one to be posted until I pointed it out.

That being said, the above issue does beg the question how can anyone can sell their older Hauptwerk system without having the licence go with it. Everyone would have to upgrade to Version VII which in most cases would require a new computer, etc due to incompatibility issues as I experienced.

You might reconsider reintroducing a Version IV licence with the condition that it is unsupported.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 6:20 am

Thanks, Antoni.

Antoni Scott wrote:I just found it interesting that you immediately responded to my previous email when I was also looking to purchase an old obsolete, unsupported licence last year but allowed this one to be posted until I pointed it out.

We didn't spot the mention of a licence in that topic when it was first posted. James has edited it now to remove the licence.

Antoni Scott wrote:That being said, the above issue does beg the question how can anyone can sell their older Hauptwerk system without having the licence go with it. Everyone would have to upgrade to Version VII which in most cases would require a new computer, etc due to incompatibility issues as I experienced.

People can certainly sell MIDI consoles and computers for Hauptwerk via this forum -- just not the licences themselves. Hauptwerk v5+ would normally be able to run on any PCs that could run v4. It is only very old Macs (such as the 2008 one you had) that may not be able to run versions of macOS high enough for v5+, since Apple only allows Macs to run macOS versions released within about 5 years after the Macs were sold new, and in order to be able to support newer macOS versions (which we have to do) sometimes it is necessary to move to newer versions of Apple's development tools, which themselves don't support old Macs.

One could, however, install Windows on Intel Macs that are Apple no longer supports, which would allow them to run newer versions of Hauptwerk if someone wished to do so.

Alternatively, an old Mac that can't run versions of macOS high enough for Hauptwerk v5+ could of course still be sold for other non-Hauptwerk purposes via this forum (or anywhere else).

I think probably most people who would be willing to spend the money for a new Hauptwerk licence would be inclined also to spend the money for a more modern computer to run it on anyway.

Antoni Scott wrote:You might reconsider reintroducing a Version IV licence with the condition that it is unsupported.

I know that MDA has no plans to re-introduce Hauptwerk v4 licences (and I understand that v4 dongles are no longer available from their maker, or manufactured).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to For sale / wanted (classified ads for private individuals)