It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

Help for a newbie?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

therepetiteur

Help for a newbie?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi all

I'm sorry if I am being very ignorant and have missed some important steps somewhere, but I've hooked up my 90's galanti digital organ to my macbook. The macbook doesn't seem to recognize it but HW definitely does as the Green MIDI light inside HW at the bottom right of the screen flashes. Problem is - a heck of a lot of data seems to be coming from the Galanti and I won't be doing anything at it whatsoever. In HW, random keys are held for no apparent reason. I've made sure I'm not playing the Galanti, no keys are sticking down, no stops are drawn etc...

Any help?

NickNelson

Re: Help for a newbie?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:11 pm

The first thing to do is find out what MIDI messages the console is sending. You will need some sort of MIDI monitoring software, I don't know what is recommended for Mac's but there will be something available (free) I'm sure. My suspicion would be a noisy swell pedal, but it's possible that there is something specific to the console going on.

If it's sending a continuous stream of messages, HW will become confused when you try to autodetect the keyboards which is probably why HW can't respond correctly.

Nick

therepetiteur

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Nick,

There are SO many things happening rapidly. Managed to view this rapid activity inside a MIDI detailer.

Any ideas on next steps?

organsRgreat

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Further to Nick's point: some MIDI devices use active sensing, which generates a lot of extra data. I'm not sure whether Hauptwerk would automatically ignore that, but it may be possible to turn off active sensing on the Galanti – see if there's any mention of this in the user manual.

I extracted the following from

https://www.midi.org/specifications/ite ... di-message

“11111110 Active Sensing. This message is intended to be sent repeatedly to tell the receiver that a connection is alive. Use of this message is optional. When initially received, the receiver will expect to receive another Active Sensing message each 300ms (max), and if it does not then it will assume that the connection has been terminated. At termination, the receiver will turn off all voices and return to normal (non- active sensing) operation”.

therepetiteur

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks for this. I'm getting extremely rapid and ever-continuing signals of every type.

organsRgreat

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 3:46 am

There are hardware MIDI data filters which can be set to remove various sorts of MIDI message. Do a search on “MIDI data filters” and see if you can find a reasonably comprehensive unit at an affordable price. Inserting one of these between the organ and computer might bring things under control.

There might be a fault in the Galanti which is causing it to send more MIDI data than it should. Do you have any technical information for it (or can you find any on the internet)? There should be a “MIDI implementation chart” which shows what types of data it should be transmitting and is capable of receiving.

NickNelson

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 am

Hi therepetiteur

therepetiteur wrote:Managed to view this rapid activity inside a MIDI detailer. Any ideas on next steps?

It would be useful if you could post a screen shot of the messages being sent.

Nick

mdyde

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 am

Hello therepetiteur,

[I've deleted you other, duplicate, post, since you've also posted the question here and people have replied here. Just for future reference, please only post each question in one place, so that people don't end up needing to reply in duplicate, and so that people replying can see any relevant previous replies from others.]

In case you haven't already found it, Snoize MIDI Monitor is a freeware utility that can show/log incoming MIDI messages: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/ . Make sure that no other MIDI applications (including Hauptwerk) are running when using it, since any given MIDI port should be open in only one application at a time.

As well as letting us know what MIDI messages the computer is receiving, what MIDI interface are you using? Is the MIDI interface connected to a USB hub, and, if so, does the USB hub have its own mains power supply connected? (Unreliable MIDI interfaces or USB hubs, or insufficient USB power are common causes of garbled MIDI messages.)

organsRgreat wrote:Further to Nick's point: some MIDI devices use active sensing, which generates a lot of extra data. I'm not sure whether Hauptwerk would automatically ignore that

Yes -- Hauptwerk just ignores MIDI active sensing messages.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

therepetiteur

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 am

Folks

Thank you all so much for chiming in with your responses. I'm so very grateful indeed!
I have a PDF of schematics for the organ but I don't believe it has any useful information for MIDI, unless I'm missing something. Happy to send that document on. I used Snoize MIDI Monitor - this is the program which is showing me all this random activity. It seems like there are hundreds of things happening each minute. Possibly even more. I can get a screenshot and will try to post it here if I can. Apologies for the double-post and thank you for the correction!

Cheers for now

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)