It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

Audio Problems with Basic (free) Version

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Ben1a

Audio Problems with Basic (free) Version

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:02 pm

I am using the basic (free edition) and have a strange audio problem. My computer has amplified speaker using an older Panasonic amplifier (SA-PM19) with tuner, CD player, plus an Aux input. It has bi-amplified speakers, but a relative low wattage out put. I also have a Dell computer with built-in audio that has an ANSO compatible driver. When I load the St. Anne Mosley sample set and play with the above computer and amplifier I get fairly good audio with the speakers and get great sound with headphones. When I disconnect the RCA plugs from the back of the Panasonic unit and connect them to a 100 Watt Onkyo amplifier with a set of DCM 1000 timeframe speaker, I only get sound from one channel and have to turn the volume up as high as possible. I don't understand why I get fairly good stereo sound from my Panasonic amp, and low level sound only on one channel (left) on my onkyo amplifier and DCM speakers.

Can anyone help me resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and please excuse my lack of knowledge.

engrssc

Re: Audio Problems with Basic (free) Version

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Have you tried reversing the connections to the Onkyo amplifier and DCM speakers? Have you checked the cables for continuity? Which model of the Onkyo amplifier are you using?

What normally connects to the input of the Onkyo amplifier and DCM speakers? Does that still work ok?

Have you selected the proper input connection of the Onkyo amplifier? The low volume could be as a result of the input selector not being in the right position or the cables not being plugged into the correct connector(s) And what you are hearing could be crosstalk.

Sounds like the signal is not getting thru on let's say the right channel. If the signal is getting thru on the left channel, plugging that cable into the right channel output of the computer will determine if the right channel signal is present at that connector. By the process of elimination, you should be able to determine where the signal(s) is or isn't.

It's possible you have one or more bad cables or at least questionable connections or as I said the selector switch issue.

Rgds
Ed

Ben1a

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for your reply! I am using an Onkyo TX8522 with 100 watt output per Channel output. I have tried reversing the channel connections to the amplifier and also the speakers. I am using the CD input on the back of the amplifier and have selected the CD input on the front of the Amplifier. I know this input works because I normally have a CD player hooked to this input and it works great. I have reversed the cables and only get one channel to play. While the cable works fine with a smaller Panasonic amplifier (I get sound out of both channels), I purchased a new cable to go from my computer out to the amplifier I still have the same problem of only one channel playing on the larger amplifier. I have also purchased new heavy duty speaker wires going from amplifier out to the speakers. So, to sum, I have reversed the cables, I have also purchased new cables from the computer to the amplifier, made sure I am using the CD inputs on the back of the amplifier and have selected the CD input.

In addition I have tried a much older Onkyo amplifier (28 years old) and have the exact same problem.

I hope I have answered all of your questions, but if not let me know.

Thanks.

Ben1a

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for your reply! I am using an Onkyo TX8522 with 100 watt output per Channel output. I have tried reversing the channel connections to the amplifier and also the speakers. I am using the CD input on the back of the amplifier and have selected the CD input on the front of the Amplifier. I know this input works because I normally have a CD player hooked to this input and it works great. I have reversed the cables and only get one channel to play. While the cable works fine with a smaller Panasonic amplifier (I get sound out of both channels), I purchased a new cable to go from my computer out to the amplifier I still have the same problem of only one channel playing on the larger amplifier. I have also purchased new heavy duty speaker wires going from amplifier out to the speakers. So, to sum, I have reversed the cables, I have also purchased new cables from the computer to the amplifier, made sure I am using the CD inputs on the back of the amplifier and have selected the CD input.

In addition I have tried a much older Onkyo amplifier (28 years old) and have the exact same problem.

I hope I have answered all of your questions, but if not let me know.

Thanks.

adrianw

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 am

This is a real puzzle.

Since you have swapped cables etc and the CD input is known to work, I think the most logical explanation is that your computer is faulty and producing a significant DC offset on the output. (An earthing/grounding or power supply issue with the computer quite frequently causea this). I believe that Onkyo use DC coupled op-amp input stages to get extended low-frequency response and these could be overloaded by the DC component, leaving no headroom for the AC audio signal. Sometimes this is betrayed by a huge thump when you turn the computer on or off.

Most hifi amps are actually AC coupled - they have a capacitor actually or effectively in series with the inputs - and will be untroubled by any DC component - which might be why your Panasonic works fine with it.

organsRgreat

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 am

And if adrianw is right, feeding the signal via a capacitor should cure the problem – by blocking the DC component. Try 0.1uF as a starting value; if that attenuates the bass move to a larger value.

TheOrganDoc

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 2:22 pm

As a highly experienced technician, I would like to explain to you that the black speaker terminals on most all power amplifiers, are all at Chassis Ground and therefore are all connected together, and must not be in contact with any Red Terminals, other than to, same color terminals on your Speakers !

If this is not adhered to, Short circuits will ensue, with either Amplifier Shutdown, or Major amp.interior damage will occur ! ! ! ! :roll:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)