It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

Hauptwerk V licensing and FAQs

Latest updates to Hauptwerk.
  • Author

mdyde

Hauptwerk V licensing and FAQs

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:32 am

Dear all,

Brett and Michelle have asked me to make a brief reappearance on this forum to try to help answer some of the questions that are arising about the very-imminent Hauptwerk v5 release. (As some of you may be aware), I work for Milan Digital Audio designing and developing the Hauptwerk software itself, so I can answer technical questions about it. I'm not involved in the business side of Hauptwerk, so there might be some questions that I need to check with Brett/Michelle (who I know are extremely busy at the moment with the final preparations for the v5 release), but I'll try to pass on relevant information that I do know.

Please bear with me, since forum questions are arising almost faster than it's possible to read them at the moment, but I'll do my best to answer a few in some individual topics over the next few days, and will also try to summarise some of the FAQs in this thread, so that people can find them easily.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk V licensing and FAQs

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:33 am

NEW FEATURES AND CHANGES IN HAUPTWERK v5:

Michelle has announced a few headline new features, but the full list changes and features, and the full details of of them, will be made available in the release notice as soon as v5 is released (i.e. very soon). Although the new licensing system is of course a key change that people need to be aware of in advance, it constitutes only a small part of the changes in v5, and I hope that you will agree when you see the full list that v5 is worth the upgrade. It's been a huge amount of work over the past 3+ years (since v4.2.1 was released), and I hope you will like it a lot.

Edit: please now see the release notice for the full details: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 am

v5 PLATFORM SUPPORT AND PREREQUISITES:

Edit: please now see the release notice for the full details: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:36 am

LICENSING CHANGES in v5 (also excerpts from the release notice):

Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:44 am

COMPATIBILITY WITH HAUPTWERK v2-v4, COMPATIBILITY WITH v2-v4 SAMPLE SETS, AND MIGRATING v2-v4 SAMPLE SET LICENCES TO v5:

If upgrading to Hauptwerk v5 from v2 and above then your existing combinations and voicing will be preserved by default. If upgrading from v4 then all settings will be preserved by default (although you have the option to reset your audio/routing settings to defaults, so that you can reconfigure them optimally for v5, which we strongly recommend for best results). (If upgrading directly from v2-v3, then please note that MIDI settings and audio engine preferences will no longer be migrated, although we strongly recommended resetting and reconfiguring MIDI settings for v4+ anyway, using right-click auto-detection on the relevant virtual controls.)

All sample sets that worked in v2 and above should work and perform in v5 at least as well as they did in previous versions, the one important exception being that copy-protected sample sets that were created for v2-v4 cannot be loaded directly in v5, so please contact the makers of any such sample sets to obtain upgraded v5+ compatible versions if needed (as covered in the Licensing changes section). Existing combinations, voicing, and settings should be preserved in either case (apart from MIDI settings specifically if upgrading directly from v2-v3, as above). Sample sets in Hauptwerk v1 format may be imported and used in v5 too.

v2-v4 sample set licences contained within the pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key (HASP dongle) need to be transferred to the iLok system in order for them to be usable in v5, which is a simple process. Full instructions will be sent when you buy an upgrade to v5. There is a dedicated function in v5 for migrating your pre-v5 sample set licences, which saves them to a file (please don't lose it!). You then need to submit that file via a form on Milan Digital Audio's website. The v5-compatible licence will then appear in your iLok account, ready for you to activate. (The form is automated, with no manual interaction required on MDA's part, so there shouldn't be any delays). Migrating the licences will render your pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key subsequently unusable in any Hauptwerk version. (However, in case of any mishaps during the process, just let Milan Digital Audio know and we'll do our best to make sure they're resolved.)

Please note, that once you have used Hauptwerk v5's menu function to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences to v5 then there is no way to reinstate those pre-v5 sample set licences, or to reinstate your pre-v5 Hauptwerk licence itself. Hence make sure that you have evaluated v5 and do indeed wish to upgrade to it BEFORE you use the menu function to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences.

(Apart from the cost of purchasing the v5 licence upgrade itself), there is no additional cost to you for migrating pre-v5 sample sets to v5, provided that you perform the above migration process PRIOR TO 1st OCTOBER 2020. After that date I understand that there may be be an additional charge for migrating any sample set licences that you may have, which Milan Digital Audio will confirm nearer the time. Hence if you intend to upgrade to v5 then it may be to your advantage finanically to do so prior to 1st October 2020.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am

EVALUATING HAUPTWERK v5+, AND/OR v5+ SETS IN v5+:

If no activated license is present for Hauptwerk when Hauptwerk is launched, then the Hauptwerk software will run as a trial for up to 14 days (after which a license must be purchased in order to continue using it), whilst also providing an option each time on the launch screen to enter a license activation code.

7-day trial activation codes are available for Milan Digital Audio’s sample sets, and trial activation codes are available for some third-party producers’ sample sets. Sample set trial activations may also be used when evaluating Hauptwerk itself.

Please note that any given computer (operating system partition) can only have one version of Hauptwerk installed on it at any one time. Once a new version has been installed it isn’t possible to revert to a previous version without uninstalling Hauptwerk completely (selecting the un-installer's option to remove all settings and files) then re-installing the older version, which would wipe any existing settings. Hence there’s no easy way to revert to pre-v5 installation once v5+ has been installed. (In case you do subsequently decide you want to revert to a previous version, please do make sure that you use 'File | Backup ...' within the previous version BEFORE you install the newer version.)

Please also note, that once you have used Hauptwerk v5+'s menu function to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences to v5+ then there is no way to reinstate those pre-v5 sample set licences, or to reinstate your pre-v5 Hauptwerk licence itself. Hence make sure that you have evaluated v5+ and do indeed wish to upgrade to it BEFORE you use the menu function to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:49 am

RELIABLE, ALWAYS-ON INTERNET CONNECTION NEEDED FOR iLok CLOUD:

Licensing Hauptwerk v5 and/or sample sets via iLok Cloud requires a reliable, always-on Internet connection.

Specifically, if using iLok Cloud, then an Internet connection that's connected and working reliably is absolutely required whenever launching Hauptwerk, or loading an organ, or loading an impulse response reverb, or starting audio/MIDI (with an impulse response reverb selected). If an organ is already loaded (with audio/MIDI active), and you are simply playing it (without doing any of the things mentioned above) then we understand that a temporary loss of Internet connection should be tolerated without adverse effects for at least 1 hour.

For any critical situation, such as for a live performance, we would definitely recommend using an iLok dongle (instead of iLok Cloud).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:50 am

LOST, STOLEN, OR BROKEN iLok DONGLES:

If you use an iLok dongle for licensing Hauptwerk (as opposed to using iLok Cloud), then we strongly recommend that you purchase Zero Downtime with Theft and Loss Coverage for the dongle (available via iLok.com: https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage ) if you are concerned about the possibility of the dongle being lost or stolen (and/or if you don't wish to risk delay in the case that it breaks). In the case of a lost or stolen iLok dongle, replacement licences for Hauptwerk or sample sets will not normally be available unless Zero Downtime with Theft and Loss Coverage has been purchased for the dongle.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 10:51 am

TRANSFERRING LICENCES FOR HAUPTWERK v5, AND/OR FOR v5 SAMPLE SETS, TO OTHER USERS:

For Hauptwerk, and Milan Digital Audio’s sample sets, and for some third-party producers’ sample sets [*], you may also transfer/re-sell your licenses to other users, without any approval or actions needed on our part. The iLok License Manager software has the necessary functionality and documentation for moving/transferring licenses, in conjunction with the iLok website (https://www.ilok.com/), and PACE should be contacted directly (via the iLok website) for any support needed with moving or transferring licenses. Their ‘Your Licenses’ FAQ covers how to transfer licenses to a different user (a different iLok account name): https://www.ilok.com/#!faq, for which PACE will charge an administrative fee to you directly (as covered in their FAQ).

[*] All current sample set producers do allow their Hauptwerk v5 sample sets that licensed via the iLok system to be transferred/re-sold.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 am

CONTINUING TO USE HAUPTWERK v2-v4:

Hauptwerk versions 1-3 are considered obsolete and are no longer available, developed, or supported in any way. Unless you have purchased (or have been supplied with) an upgrade to v5, v4.2.1 will continue to be supported for a maximum period of 12 months from the date you purchased a license for it (either a new license or an upgrade), but there will be no more v4 releases or development, and Milan Digital Audio reserves the right not to assist with issues that would be resolved by upgrading to v5.

If you currently have a licensed pre-v5 Hauptwerk installation/licence(s) and do NOT upgrade to v5 then you can continue to use your licensed pre-v5 Hauptwerk installation/licence(s) indefinitely. Pre-v5 Hauptwerk and pre-v5 sample set licence(s) are contained within the pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key and they are perpetual, and are not computer-specific, or operating system-specific. Installing Hauptwerk v5 in evaluation mode will not in itself affect your prev-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key or its licences, provided that you do NOT specifically use the menu function in v5 to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences to v5. [However, as above, please note only one version of Hauptwerk can be installed on any given computer operating system partition at any one time, and there is no way to to revert to any given Hauptwerk installation to a previous version without uninstalling Hauptwerk completely (selecting the un-installer's option to remove all settings and files) then re-installing the older version, which would wipe any existing settings.]

If you DO specifically use Hauptwerk v5's menu function to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences to v5 then there is no way to reinstate those pre-v5 sample set licences, or to reinstate your pre-v5 Hauptwerk licence itself.

If you use the Hauptwerk v4 Free Edition then there is nothing technically or legally stopping you continuing to use it (on a computer/partition that does not have v5 installed). However, we do of course hope that you will instead decide to support Hauptwerk's continued development by upgrading to a licensed v5 edition.

There is also nothing technically or legally stopping Hauptwerk producers from continuing to sell v4 sample sets that are a not copy-protected (encrypted).

I understand that Milan Digital Audio will no longer be enabling sample sets on pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Keys beyond 31st March 2020. Hence copy-protected pre-v5 sample sets that are licensed via the pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key can no longer be sold (or otherwise made available) after that date. If any sample set producers wish to continue offering those sample sets for Hauptwerk v4 then they would need to offer them without copy protection (or with copy protection, but not licensed via the pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 11:36 am

PROVISION OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR HAUPTWERK v5:

As covered previously in this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133609 ), technical support will now be available from Milan Digital Audio via Hauptwerk Technical Support Incidents raised via our website support ticket system only.

As Michelle Qualley has mentioned ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17747&p=133030#p133027 ), I haven't myself been involved in technical support, or with this forum, since March 2018 (so that I could focus exclusively on Hauptwerk v5's development), and I won't normally be involved in technical support or the forum for v5, but Brett and Michelle are making sure that Milan Digital Audio's technical support for v5 will be handled well.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 8:43 am

v5-COMPATIBLE SAMPLE SET AVAILABILITY STATUS:

All sample set producers who produce copy-protected v4 sample sets should have had the necessary tools to re-protect them for v5, so that they could make sure all of those sample sets are ready in time for v5's release. It's my understanding that at least the following producers (in alphabetical order) already have all of their sets ready for v5:

- Audio Angelorum
- CLR Resources / Evensong
- Forestpipes
- Inspired Acoustics
- Jake (subbass32 forum user)'s Caen extension and the Grand Symphonic Cavaillé-Coll
- KeyMedia Productions
- Lavender Audio
- Melotone Sound Productions
- Milan Digital Audio (apart from the Oberwerk/Compenius sample set)
- OrganArt Media
- Paramount OrganWorks
- Pipeloops
- Silver Octopus Studios
- Sonus Paradisi
- Sygsoft
- Voxus Organs

The small number of remaining producers hopefully will have theirs ready too in time for v5's initial release (they may well already have them ready and just haven't specifically told me), otherwise very soon afterwards. Hence I think that most people shouldn't have to wait at all in order for v5-compatible sample sets to be ready.

(As mentioned earlier in this topic, Hauptwerk v5 is compatible with non-copy-protected v2-v4 sample sets, so updated versions of those are not needed for v5 compatibility.)

Edit: P.S. If sample set producers have any corrections or additions to the above list then please email me, and I will update the list here accordingly.

Edit: P.P.S. 2019-12-10: Some more, which I understand also now to be ready, to add to the above list:

- Melotone Sound Productions.
- Jake (subbass32 forum user)'s Caen extension and the Grand Symphonic Cavaillé-Coll.

Edit: 2019-12-10: Brett will be posting a PDF document with download links for all of the v5 versions of Milan Digital Audio and Paramount sample sets on the forum soon.

Edit: 2020-03-24: KeyMedia Productions add to above list.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostSat Nov 30, 2019 2:53 pm

IF UPGRADING TO v5 ON A MAC THEN YOU NEED TO UNINSTALL AND DELETE THE PREVIOUS HAUPTWERK INSTALLATION FIRST:

VERY IMPORTANT: If you have Hauptwerk v2/v3/v4 installed, then it's very important that you uninstall Hauptwerk completely (and delete all files/folders) BEFORE you install Hauptwerk v5+, then finally install v5+ using its (10.15-safe) default installation locations (or choose custom locations that are not on the Mac's internal drive).

Please see this topic, which covers it in depth: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 12:54 pm

STARTING A HAUPTWERK v5 TRIAL, OR ACTIVATING A LICENCE, NEEDS AN INTERNET CONNECTION:

Please note that in order to commence evaluation of Hauptwerk v5 you would need the computer on which it's installed to be connected to the Internet (at least briefly, in order to activate the trial). If your main Hauptwerk computer is not connected to the Internet, but you have an iLok dongle, then you should potentially be able to install Hauptwerk v5 temporarily on an Internet-connected computer, use it to start a trial (activating the trial to your iLok dongle), then exit Hauptwerk and move the iLok dongle to your main Hauptwerk computer (with Hauptwerk v5 installed on it) in order to continue the trial there.

Please also note that an Internet connection is needed in order to activate any kind of licence (including Hauptwerk licences, sample set licences, and sample set trial licences) to an iLok dongle. If your main Hauptwerk computer is not connected to the Internet, you can move your iLok dongle temporarily to an Internet-connected computer (which has iLok License Manager installed) in order to activate the licence on it, then move the iLok dongle back to your main Hauptwerk computer in order to use the newly-activated licence(s) there.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 4:32 am

BUYING A v5 UPGRADE PERPETUAL LICENCE vs A NEW PERPETUAL LICENCE

Milan Digital Audio are currently emailing coupons to all existing Hauptwerk v2/v3/v4 users (via the email address that we have on file them) to allow buying Hauptwerk v5 licences at discounted 'upgrade' pricing.

If you buy a perpetual licence for Hauptwerk v5 (whether as a full new licence, or as an upgrade via a coupon) then you will receive a perpetual v5 licence. From a functional/technical point of view the result is identical in either case, and there are no time limits (or temporary licences) in either case.

However, if you buy an upgrade to Hauptwerk v5 (as opposed to a full new licence) then you do need to follow the instructions (which will be emailed to you when buying the upgrade) to use v5's 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version' menu function. (As mentioned in my previous posts in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 ), using that function and submitting the resulting file (in the way covered in the emailed instructions) will result in licences for any existing sample sets you may have being migrated to v5 and deposited in your iLok account. Migrating the licences will render your pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key (including all of its sample set licences) subsequently unusable in any Hauptwerk version. You will not be able to use any of your existing iLok-licensed sample sets in v5 until you have migrated their licences.

If you buy an upgrade to Hauptwerk v5 (as opposed to a full new licence) but you don't have any pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key-licensed sample sets (or if you don't want to use them in v5 yet), then technically you could defer using the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version' menu function for while, so that you could retain the ability to continue to using your pre-v5 version with its sample sets. However, you must use the migration function by the 1st October 2020. Also, you must not sell, transfer, or give away your existing pre-v5 Hauptwerk USB Key, or use it to run v4 simultaneously with v5 -- doing any of those things would be in breach of the licence agreement.

If you wanted to retain the ability to keep using your pre-v5 Hauptwerk version and its sample sets indefinitely, whilst also using v5, then you would need to buy a full new licence for v5 (as opposed to an upgrade) as well as full new licences for any sample sets that you wanted to use in v5.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to News, announcements and forum rules