It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:04 pm

World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Re: World famous organ of Martinikerk Groningen will come

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 8:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16088&p=120807&hilit=cycled+rank+id#p120807

If the notes/octaves/ranks cycled algorithm works the same in HW 5 as stated in the post linked above, now I see why this is happening.

Every diffuse rank in the demo set is followed by 3 others in the ranks sorted by rank id list, so every diffuse rank's rank_seq_num is a multiple of 4.

So in any audio group of 2 or 4 stereo outputs, all the diffuse ranks for one note go to just one output until we manually change note offsets for enough ranks to use the rest of the speakers.

It isn't the rank id differences as I'd speculated earlier, just the order of rank ids. For example, if all the diffuse ranks had been grouped together in rank id order, they would have gone to successive speakers on the same note automatically.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 5:10 am

Hello nmailor,

That's correct. I've just replied to your other post on that here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18132 .

If you didn't want the organ definition's RankIDs to be taken into account, then you could (for example) use the 'ranks constant' algorithms (or any algorithms apart from the 'ranks cycled' ones).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 7:44 am

mdyde wrote:If you didn't want the organ definition's RankIDs to be taken into account, then you could (for example) use the 'ranks constant' algorithms (or any algorithms apart from the 'ranks cycled' ones).

It looks like, in this case, either ranks cycled, or without ranks cycled, the cyclic algorithms will put all the diffuse pipes for the same note on the same speaker pair, which isn't desirable. Thank you.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 8:02 am

Hello nmailor,

That's what the per-rank note offset setting is for -- it's up to you how you want to distribute them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 10:30 am

I’d be very interested in any comments from anyone who has purchased and installed any of the variants of this sample set. Thanks in advance.

Iain

OrganoPleno

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 10:52 am

IainStinson wrote:I’d be very interested in any comments from anyone who has purchased and installed any of the variants of this sample set. Thanks in advance.

I consider this to be far and away the finest Sample Set I have ever worked with. If you like Baroque Organs, I guarantee you would not be disappointed. Sweet, clear, rich and bold all at once and with a magnificent natural reverberation. Every stop rich with authentic character. And they all blend!

I am using the full version, with the following perspective settings (from nearest to farthest, out of 127): 32,96,64,96.

Try the free Demo (which works on either HW4 or HW5, no obligation!) to get a good overview of the Organ, just using fewer available stops.

This Organ is itself sufficient reason to upgrade to HW5. But to be on the safe side, I have learned how to maintain my HW4 system unaltered, so none of my existing installation has been put at risk.

dhm

PostThu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm

IainStinson wrote:I’d be very interested in any comments from anyone who has purchased and installed any of the variants of this sample set. Thanks in advance.
Iain

I had installed and loaded it a couple of weeks ago, but finally got sound out of it yesterday, so have only played it for about an hour in total. It's awesome. Very gentle and refined, even in pleno registrations. Nothing overpowers; it just blends.
I'm using the full surround version on a Win 10 PC with 64GB of RAM, but could also test a normal wet version with 32GB.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

patrice

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 am

This Organ is itself sufficient reason to upgrade to HW5. But to be on the safe side," I have learned how to maintain my HW4 system unaltered", so none of my existing installation has been put at risk.
[/quote]
Hello,
Could you explain how it is possible?

adri

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 3:20 pm

patrice wrote:
This Organ is itself sufficient reason to upgrade to HW5. But to be on the safe side," I have learned how to maintain my HW4 system unaltered", so none of my existing installation has been put at risk.

Hello,
Could you explain how it is possible?[/quote]

I would love to know too.

Grant_Youngman

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 pm

adri wrote:
patrice wrote:

Hello,
Could you explain how it is possible?

I would love to know too.

Purchase a new full instance of HW5. Put it on a separate bootable disk volume. Then you can keep HW4 running (on a different bootable disk volume) with whatever you want on it. If you use the upgrade from IV to V in place, you will lose IV. You simply can't have it both ways with the upgrade option …
Grant

marcus.reeves

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 2:47 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:Purchase a new full instance of HW5. Put it on a separate bootable disk volume. Then you can keep HW4 running (on a different bootable disk volume) with whatever you want on it. If you use the upgrade from IV to V in place, you will lose IV. You simply can't have it both ways with the upgrade option …

But that restricts you to only running either newly purchased, unlicensed or free sample sets in V. Any licensed sets tied to your V4 dongle will have to stay there. Plus... anyone doing this having purchased the upgrade to V5 is surely pulling a bit of a fast one, purchasing the full licence is the only legitimate way to achieve this. Leaving all your previously licensed samples on a system for which support will eventually run out seems a risky venture to me.
Best wishes,
Marcus

patrice

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 5:14 am

marcus.reeves wrote: Grant_Youngman wrote:
Purchase a new full instance of HW5. Put it on a separate bootable disk volume. Then you can keep HW4 running (on a different bootable disk volume) with whatever you want on it. If you use the upgrade from IV to V in place, you will lose IV. You simply can't have it both ways with the upgrade option …

No,with a new full license,you lost all your previous licensed s/sets
marcus.reeves wrote: Plus... anyone doing this having purchased the upgrade to V5 is surely pulling a bit of a fast one, purchasing the full licence is the only legitimate way to achieve this

i dont understand,could you explain
thanks

marcus.reeves

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 4:24 am

patrice wrote:
marcus.reeves wrote: Grant_Youngman wrote:

No,with a new full license,you lost all your previous licensed s/sets
marcus.reeves wrote: Plus... anyone doing this having purchased the upgrade to V5 is surely pulling a bit of a fast one, purchasing the full licence is the only legitimate way to achieve this

i dont understand,could you explain
thanks

‘Pulling a fast one’ is an expression which means to trick someone. Technically, there’s nothing stopping anyone from taking advantage of the upgrade price to HWV from HW4 and then setting this up as a completely new setup. They would, of course, be limited to only purchasing new samples, or using unlicensed ones, since migrating to HWV would erase the HASP dongle. It’s illegitimate though, since they’d be running two installation having not bought two full versions.
Best wishes,
Marcus

Vladimir Ratkovsky

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

I hoped to read impressions of this sample set, but last 2 are with comments about HW and licenses,unfortunately.

Can someone confirm that this by far the best sample set from Jiri? How it 'feels' under fingers? And how does 4 channel version sound like?

I would like to buy it for myself as a birthday present in March...(but I will also need to buy 32 GB of additional RAM...)

Thanks,
Vladimir
Vladimir

IainStinson

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 pm

There were two very positive comments made after I asked for views about the sample set and a recommendation to try the demo set. I did that and was delighted with the sound of the demo ranks. The demo has all the sample “perspectives” for the supplied ranks which gives you a good idea of the differences between them. OrganoPleno’s comment was particularly helpful. Do try the demo if you haven’t done so already. I am very seriously thinking about buying it.

Iain
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments