It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

Solid Core of Windows 7 Users Aren’t Upgrading to Windows 10

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

organtechnology

Re: Solid Core of Windows 7 Users Aren’t Upgrading to Window

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi Ed,

I think we may have found a version of Win 10 that can be stable until about 2029.
That is once installed it does not need to be on the internet for a long long time.
It does have security updates but they only get sent if you are online to receive them.
Should make a nice VPO OS I think.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 3:03 am

With or without 1909?

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 7:42 am

Thomas,

No need for that "special" Win10 version. You can disable Windows update and you will be good till 2039 at no extra cost :lol:

Ed, Win10 1909 works perfectly (on a new computer). But when upgrading, Windows will not only update Windows but often upgrade some drivers, causing problems for older/discontinued audio interface.Windows has an option that you can disable to prevent Windows from upgrading drivers.

Also, while I perfectly understand and recommend to limit the upgrade when your computer is stable, in the long run you will have problems. For example, I had someone who contacted me to upgrade his HW4 to HW5 and his computer is still using Windows 7 (not even patch to SP1)... installing iLOK manager has been a lot of fun!

I've been a "hard-code" Windows 7 users, but once you're used to Windows 10 (and know how to set it up), you can take advance of the latest processors and technology offering incredible performances.Also, upgrades can fix problem... http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18432#p138959.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:06 am

FYI, I didn't originate the above article, It comes from a tech columnist who most likely has no idea what Hauptwerk is.

One of my systems is using Win 10 along with iLok and HW 5. and I've had no end to problems with it. And I thought originally I should have enough background info (for as long as I've been with HW) to do what it takes for a successful install. Not the case. May be due to it not being a clean install but rather an upgrade. I still have occasional issues with no changes being made (by me). And presently I just don't have the time to dig deeply into it. All of my drivers (from MOTU) are the very latest. No problems at all (for years) with HW 4.2 etc and WIn 7 Pro.

It does appear that to really be successful, a person needs to learn quite a bit of the technology behind these innovations.

I don't appear to be the only one having issues either, many more knowledgeable than myself are having issues as well. No doubt all these issues will be solved - eventually. Hopefully before the next round. :roll:

Quoting Alan Baker : " We're now living in a World where if the wheel falls off your wagon, you can't repair it and put it back. You have to replace the entire wagon! :( Translation - new computer, etc.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 am

Regarding Win 10 release 1909 it is sometimes better to move ahead to the latest releases rather than back to something older. As I posted elsewhere build 19577.1000 which has only been available for a couple of weeks via the Windows Insider Program offers a much faster memory release for large sample sets.

Also I have not disabled SysMain and so far have not experienced any audio glitches or seen any problems running the Latency Monitor program. The longest delays have been a quarter of a millisecond and were from the ethernet drivers which I leave running.

This is Win 10, latest release, with no optimizations other than disabling memory paging. The hardware is an Intel i9, 14 cores, 128GB DDR4, and a 2TB SSD drive. Overkill on the hardware but I would recommend the 8-core i9 and one of the better SSDs (Samsung in my opinion). My internet connection is alive and active and I no longer bother to disable cloud services while running HW. So things do improve with age.

organtechnology

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 am

engrssc wrote:With or without 1909?

Rgds,
Ed

It uses 1809.

TG
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

organtechnology

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 12:50 am

engrssc wrote:With or without 1909?

Rgds,
Ed

It uses 1809.

TG

organtechnology

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:00 am

micdev wrote:Thomas,

No need for that "special" Win10 version. You can disable Windows update and you will be good till 2039 at no extra cost :lol.

Regards

That is not what Microsoft says and the cost is reasonable compared to Pro 64.

TG

Return to Computer hardware / specs