It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

Ideas for small second monitor on music desk

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Ideas for small second monitor on music desk

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm looking for a second touchscreen monitor small enough to rest on the music desk. It would be used for additional HW large windows, MOTU mixer screen, or rarely the right stop jamb on organs where I can't read the stop labels.

The current monitor is a Dell 23 inch mounted to the left. Sunlight prevents mounting another to the right. It is far enough out of view that I could use a small monitor next to the music at times.

This is on Windows 10. Does it handle monitors with different screen sizes reasonably well? What do I need to look out for?

Thank you.

dcaton

Re: Ideas for small second monitor on music desk

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 7:18 pm

There is no shortage of portable touchscreen monitors out there. Generally they're used as a second monitor for a laptop but would be suitable for this purpose as well. Yes, Windows 10 handles monitors of different resolutions just fine.

I happen to have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Deco-Gear-Touc ... B081D9HN6D
but it has a built-in battery which makes it thicker than most portable monitors, and really unnecessary for what you want to do with it.

I don't know why I haven't thought of doing this with mine. It sits in the closet except when I travel, which is only a few weeks out of the year.

mnailor

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Thank you, dcaton.

Artorg

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 1:35 pm

I've been using a MageDok touchscreen monitor as my primary display for Hauptwerk and have been very happy with it. The best thing is that it's powered with a USB connection, so there's not another power supply needed to clutter things up.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPortInput ... op?ie=UTF8

mnailor

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks for the idea, Artorg. I might have to look into a USB-C hub since I only have one port.

ldeutsch

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 12:00 am

Though it is a more expensive option, if you are using a Mac as your HW computer you can always use an iPad as an additional small touchscreen display. I do this often on one of my two home installations. It also isn't all that expensive if you already own an iPad for other users in the first place ...

I assume someone has written software to do this from Windows too - but I have no personal knowledge of this.

Les

IainStinson

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 am

Duet links an iPad to Windows as an extension to the desktop (scree) via USB.
https://www.duetdisplay.com/
Iain

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI