It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 am

How do I get a compatible sequencer that works with HW

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Gedact8

How do I get a compatible sequencer that works with HW

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm

I am trying to find a MIDI sequencer that is capable of playing MIDI files on a selectable channel (since the built in player sends the main track to pedal). I have tried Organ Assist but this is not capable of loading MIDI files that aren't on it's own format. I also tried Anvil Studio but that is only able to send MIDI to MS VST along with several others that just don't do what they claim to do. I am trying to use it the same way a Viscount choir master would work with a Viscount console without having to pay someone to code an extension file or buy upgrades which have no guarantee they are even compatible. Where can I get a sequencer that has a working output?
Last edited by Gedact8 on Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

larason2

Re: How do I get a compatible sequencer that works with HW

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 6:10 pm

I would re-assign the divisions in Hauptwerk to the channel you want to be played. Much simpler than using some kind of sequencer software or hardware.

Gedact8

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 6:46 pm

It doesn't seem to be possible on the lite version, I can only change MIDI inputs for keyboards/sequencers or run a MIDI file at default values.

larason2

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 7:07 pm

I don’t have experience with the lite version in V or VI, but I do have a lot of experience with the free and basic version of Hauptwerk IV, and the advanced version of V. In all three of these, if you go to the “keyboards” menu, my experience has been that you can change the Midi channel of any available division to the setting you desire. If that’s not how it works in the lite version, then someone with more experience will have to weigh in on the lite version.

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 9:48 pm

Hello Gedact8,

Not exactly sure to understand your need, but know that Hauptwerk' buitl-in MIDI recorder/player uses a completely fixed, predefined MIDI implementation. If you want to see (for the loaded organ) its fixed, predefined MIDI implementation, go to Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI Recorder/player...

See page 265 from the Hauptwerk Installation and User Guide to learn more.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 4:43 am

Hello Gedackt8,

To add to others' replies:

I assume your aim is to play MIDI files into Hauptwerk, and that those MIDI files weren't recorded by Hauptwerk. [If the files had been recorded by Hauptwerk, the MIDI channels would already have been set appropriately for Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player.]

The 'Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Advanced Edition only) (Hauptwerk as a ‘slave’ MIDI device)' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 241-247 in the current v6.0.1 version) covers setting up Hauptwerk in a way that would be appropriate for playing generic MIDI files from a MIDI sequencer into Hauptwerk.

Since you're using the Lite Edition, you won't have the Hauptwerk VST/AU Link, but you could still use the same core method by using virtual MIDI cable software (e.g. loopMIDI: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html ), instead of the Hauptwerk VST/AU Link, to route MIDI from your MIDI sequencer into Hauptwerk.

In essence, you can either:

1. Configure each of Hauptwerk's virtual controls manually to respond to whatever MIDI implementation you like, as described in the Composing pieces off-line from a MIDI sequencer configured conventionally (Advanced Edition only)' sub-section (pages 241-247). To use this approach, select the MIDI port that connects between your MIDI sequencer and Hauptwerk in a Console MIDI IN' row on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports screen tab.

2. Alternatively, you can just use Hauptwerk's built-in fixed, predefined MIDI recorder/player MIDI implementation, which is covered in brief in the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' sub-section (page 236), with the full implementation documented via the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function within Hauptwerk. Using this approach way avoids the need to configure any per-control MIDI settings at all in Hauptwerk (but requires you to use that specific MIDI implementation for any events you enter in your MIDI sequencer, or in MIDI files). This approach also has the benefit that Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player should be able to play MIDI files you export from your sequencer. To use this approach, select the MIDI port that connects between your MIDI sequencer and Hauptwerk in the 'Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN') row on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organassist

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 8:09 am

OrganAssist can import any MIDI file and you can optionally choose to assign any MIDI channel to any manual at the time you import a file. If you are not importing a file in the format of the current organ, you need to select Import General MIDI file which provides these options.
If you need any assistance with this feature, please contact me via organassist.com

randallschmid

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 am

Hello Gedackt8,

I just downloaded the free version of Anvil Studio and was able to have it play a midi file on St. Anne's using a Loopmidi virtual midi port. However your issue of all notes playing on the pedalboard may be even more simple to solve.

St. Anne's uses midi channel 1 for pedal, channel 2 for great and channel 3 for swell. In Anvil, you can click on the channel number on each track, change it appropriately to 1,2 or 3, export the midi file, load it into HW and play it.

Gedact8

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm

I have been trying to use sequencers bot they will not work as Hauptwerk will not recognise them as a MIDI input and the sequencers will only send out to the Microsoft sound font which sounds horrible. I did ask them on another site how to get them to send signal to anything other than the MS sound generator and they insisted on me buying some studio support package for ~£1200.

I tried using Organassist but it would not recognise a Viscount, Johannus, Rodgers or Eminent connected as I don't have one and it seems to need to route the signal through a compatible console, there also seems to be no way of playing MIDI files though it without involving a console. I am unable to patch via MIDI cable as I do not have a MIDI hardware card, I am only able to use USB compatible devices.

I only have the option to output signal to MS synth, there are no other options in the drop down menu other than one for no output.
[img]C:\Users\mayfi\Pictures\OA1.png[/img]

EDIT: I posted another question on a YT video about this and someone has responded recommending the Allen MIDI Assistant but this is probably not available in my region and is probably also out of my price range.
Last edited by Gedact8 on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randallschmid

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 3:19 pm

HW can be driven by Anvil Studio's sequencer provided you use "virtual midi" software, which can be downloaded for free. Here are the instructions.

1. Download and install the loopmidi by Tobias Erichsen software from here:
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
2. Exit HW and Anvil if they are running.
3. Start loopmidi. Add a new port named "Anvil2HW" by entering "Anvil2HW" in the create new port box, then click the "+" sign. You should then see "Anvil2HW" in loopmidi's list of available ports. "X" out of loopmidi. It will continue to run in the background.
4. Start Anvil and load a midi file. Click on the first instrument in "instrument" column. Click on the Synthesizer box and select "Add a new synthesizer". Enter "HW Organ" as the name to describe the synthesizer. Select "Anvil2HW" as the port the synthesizer is connected to. Click "Create a new patch library". You should now be able to select "HW Organ" as the synthesizer on midi port "Anvil2HW". You can leave the Bank set to General midi and pick any instrument such as "20 church organ". This is only used to describe the instrument on the piano roll screen. HW's stops will determine the sound.
5. In Anvil's piano roll screen, change the instrument (synthesizer) on each track to HW Organ and set each midi Channel to HW's sample set channel for your desired division. If using St. Anne's, channel 1 is pedal, 2 is great and 3 is swell.
6. Start HW (leaving Anvil open). HW should automatically detect the new available midi port "Anvil2HW". In HW's midi IN ports screen, enable Anvil2HW by checking the right side box. Do not enable "Anvil2HW" in HW's midi OUT port screen.
7. Open some stops in HW.
8. Switch focus back to Anvil and press Play. You should hear HW play.

Gedact8

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 4:17 pm

I am unable to access the download link on that page since it seems to be blocked. I assume the file itself it is hosted on a site that is banned in the UK, I have had this problem before with file host sites. I don't know if that is included by the full MIDI/VST package I was recommended but I can't afford it even if there was a guarantee that it would work.

Organ Assist seems to keep crashing every time I attempt to load a MIDI file but I am unable to post images or videos of what is happening on here. I also can't find a way that I would be able to change the MIDI track, so if I could get it to load MIDI files and output a signal to Hauptwerk I believe I would likely still have the same problem with it only playing to the Pedal division as I did when I tried using the built in MIDI player.

randallschmid

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 4:28 pm

If you search the Internet for 'loopmidi", you should find it on a site that you can access.

Gedact8

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm

There's only the one site that shows up, everything else is irrelevant.

IainStinson

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 5:31 pm

For internal midi loops I’ve used https://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html and https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
(Both of these sites work from the UK.)
Iain

mdyde

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 am

Hello Gedact8,

Tobias Erichsen's loopMIDI website works perfectly for me from the UK too:

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

('m using Mozilla Firefox web browser on Windows 10 via BT Internet, with Norton anti-virus software installed.)

loopMIDI is a reputable freeware software utility that's widely used, and works well with Hauptwerk on Windows.

If you're having problems accessing the website then perhaps your virus scanner/security software is over-zealously blocking it for some reason (termed a 'false positive').
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing