It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

An opinion - Why macOS Is Still Better Than Windows

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

An opinion - Why macOS Is Still Better Than Windows

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:52 am

As organists, let's see a show of hands. :wink:

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/how-macos-gets-almost-everything-right?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

A mixed bag of responses after the "document". :|

Rgd,
Ed

dw154515

Re: An opinion - Why macOS Is Still Better Than Windows

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:09 pm

It all depends.

I have a custom-built Windows PC at GUMC that runs flawlessly - though lately, I have noticed a seemingly unnecessary increase in the CPU meter - but it has NO connection to anything on the outside world. No WIFI/WLAN. No bluetooth. Nothing. And as such, it works great.

My home rig, however, tends to get treated as the "bench test" machine. As such, it's prone to errors and glitches. It has to be online from time to time - to download new sets, to transfer iLok licensees back and forth to my MacBook Pro (which I'll discuss in a moment), etc. so it tends to have blimps and general annoyances. If you're going to keep it OFFLINE, a well-tuned Windows machine is CHEAPER and CAN work just as well. But beware. It takes more "work" in my opinion.

Now, that said, I recently tried out my new MacBook pro for Hauptwerk. 32GB RAM, all solid state. I even bought the Touch-Base drivers to support my Dell touch screens. This laptop has the latest Sibelius, iZotope RX, Logic Pro, DaVinci Resolve, Microsoft Office Suite, Apple's Office Suite, OBS, and more..... and I use ALL of that weekly! I do all the video editing, recording, website design work, composing, etc. on my Macbook Pro. I ran Hauptwerk for several days WITHOUT SO MUCH AS A SINGLE HICCUP!

I plug the power in, plug the USB-C hub in (which has USB and HDMI to my touch screens), shut the laptop, put it on its "bookarc" out of the way, and just go! I don't think I'll go back to my PC for my home setup. In fact, I'm thinking I'll sell it - or turn it into a train simulator PC. Who knows!?
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:09 pm

Sure you saw my thread re M/S invocation or updates and other sometimes non essential built in stuff plus the stuff that works in the background regardless if a PC is online or not. Something a friend calls a "time bomb". Dunno. Who do you trust long term is my question? Trying to keep an open mind, yes?

Two days ago I had a long discussion with someone who strongly feels Hauptwerk is vulnerable because it relies on consumer grade hardware (namely computers). I knew from the beginning that I wasn't going to change his mind or opinion. But sometimes a good debate does open new thought paths (referred to as learning). I believe the word Myelination might apply. A fascinating subject of how the brain "learns".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-brain-learns-in-unexpected-ways/

There is an opinion that you, the user have more options available with a PC where as with a Mac many of these "decisions" are made and dictated by Apple. Just as when being fitted/examined for eye glasses,, the optometrist goes about offering different lenses to view a test pattern. Is it 1 or is it 2?

Is it Apple or is it Microsoft? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

dw154515

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 pm

No doubt that IS one of Hauptwerk’s “problems” is the PC. However, it’s also a very good thing if you’re smart enough to know what you’re working on.

Imagine how wonderful it would be if every “computer” element on an Allen or Rogers was available on Amazon with free two-day shipping?! You’d love it because parts would be readily available, easily accessible, and cheap to repair - IF you knew what you were doing.

This is the case with Hauptwerk.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 10:20 pm

And if there wasn't a world wide chip storage. Amazing how events far removed can affect us locally. Even GM had to wait for computer parts to restart one of their production lines. Like what a cargo ship run aground in the Suez Canal can do with our gas prices.

Don't take my comments as complaints. Nothing insurmountable here.. There's a certain intrigue that comes with challenges. Someone I know many times says 'It hurts so good.' Your disclaimer (IF you knew what you were doing.) says it all. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

TubaFan

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 8:28 am

I've never been a fan of the Mac. For being so "intuitive," as many Mac users describe them, everything compared to Windows seems to take an extra step. I'm not saying that the operating system doesn't run smoother though.

How much does it cost to get a Mac with 128GB of RAM? I imagine I could replace my PC more than once.

marcus.reeves

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 10:37 am

TubaFan wrote:I've never been a fan of the Mac. For being so "intuitive," as many Mac users describe them, everything compared to Windows seems to take an extra step. I'm not saying that the operating system doesn't run smoother though.

How much does it cost to get a Mac with 128GB of RAM? I imagine I could replace my PC more than once.

Possibly. But would your PCs last as long? I suspect the long-term costs might be similar? My £500 Mac mini with 16GB RAM bought in 2011 is still going strong.
Best wishes,
Marcus

TubaFan

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 am

marcus.reeves wrote:
TubaFan wrote:I've never been a fan of the Mac. For being so "intuitive," as many Mac users describe them, everything compared to Windows seems to take an extra step. I'm not saying that the operating system doesn't run smoother though.

Possibly. But would your PCs last as long? I suspect the long-term costs might be similar? My £500 Mac mini with 16GB RAM bought in 2011 is still going strong.

The computer we are using at my church (just installed not quite 2 months ago) is quite stout. It will be offline unless an update is needed, and is not being used for anything else. A lot of features in Windows are also disabled. I imagine in this scenario that it will last a long time. Even still, I could probably replace it 2-3 times and still be out of pocket less than a comparable Mac.

RaymondList

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 1:20 pm

This is a Ford vs Chevy question (for us here in the USA). A lot of personal preference goes into one's position. Since MacOS is really a Unix system at its core (pardon the pun), it is inherently a better OS from a "deep" technical perspective. I made the jump from Windows (and OS/2, and Linux, and some others) years ago and have never looked back (yes, Windows programs DID run faster under OS/2 than they did on native Windows because IBM's assembler was better than the one Microsoft used!) . I do have a copy of Windows on this Mac which I can run under Parallels for the very, VERY few tasks I need to run under Windows. I can face the fact that there is a lot of specialized software that only is available for Windows. I also like the fact that when running a Windows program under Parallels, and the thing does a BSOD, I just click the little "x" in the corner of the task and the Windows BSOD is gone and my Mac is still running! I just restart a copy of Windows under Parallels again! :D As for cost, a Windows machine can be bought for less. However, if I bought a Windows laptop that was built as ruggedly as this MacBook Pro (more metal than plastic) and include the same software that is delivered on my Mac, the cost is comparable. And, I don't have to pay yearly fees for Anti-virus that also would take up a constant stream of my cpu mips. I've saved thousands of $ for that alone! (No, I have never run an anti-virus on my Macs, and I've run Macs for years, and am always on the internet. [Please don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing - I assure you I do]. I would never do that with a Windows box.) And, lastly, MacOS is closer to a 'real' OS than anything else. (My 'real' OS is Mainframe z/OS.)
Ray

larason2

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 11:01 pm

I've used macs since I first got a white iBook, I believe in 2004. I like them because I feel they are more reliable, the graphics are slicker, many aspects of Windows really annoy me, and I'm used to Mac's quirks. That being said, I do have to use my wife's PC from time to time for things that can't be easily accomplished on a mac. For Hauptwerk, I wouldn't consider using a PC, even though they are much less expensive, because of audio reliability. While I'm sure many have optimized their windows systems to make the audio reliable for Hauptwerk, I don't want to have to put that kind of work into continually modifying the OS to keep it functional and reliable. PC's are good computers though, I have to say, particularly in their modern incarnations, and if Mac's didn't exist, I would probably use one of the modern ones without complaining.

engrssc

Return to Computer hardware / specs