It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

How do I get a compatible sequencer that works with HW

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

randallschmid

Re: How do I get a compatible sequencer that works with HW

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 am

Particularly make sure javascript is enabled.in your browser. The "download loopmidi" button on
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
will not work if javascript is disabled.

Gedact8

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:35 am

I have been trying to get these to work along with another suggested elsewhere but not one of them seems to function properly and some need coding which I can't do. Ever since trying these my keyboard has stopped working and it has no signal in to Hauptwerk which I thought was a Hauptwerk issue but I can't receive a signal in Carla either. How do I get the MIDI working again?

mdyde

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:02 am

Hello Gedact8,

To try to get your MIDI keyboard working again as it was within Hauptwerk I would suggest:

- First reboot the computer.

- In Hauptwerk, make sure that the MIDI IN port to which your MIDI keyboard is connected is (still) ticked in a 'Console MIDI IN' row on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab.

- Also, for now, make sure that none of the virtual MIDI software applications' ports are ticked anyway on that screen tab, or on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab. (If you have any given virtual MIDI port ticked on both tabs you could potentially get MIDI feedback, for example, or perhaps one of the virtual MIDI applications you installed isn't functioning properly.)

- OK the screen.

- Load St. Anne's, and see whether your MIDI keyboard still plays the relevant virtual keyboard in Hauptwerk. If not, try using right-click auto-detection again.

If that still doesn't fix it, and if none of the virtual MIDI activity LEDs flash in Hauptwerk as you press keys on your MIDI keyboard, you could potentially try uninstalling the virtual MIDI applications that you'd installed one by one, rebooting after uninstalling each, and following the above steps again, to see whether the problem was resolved.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Gedact8

PostThu May 06, 2021 8:50 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Gedact8,

To try to get your MIDI keyboard working again as it was within Hauptwerk I would suggest:

- First reboot the computer.

- In Hauptwerk, make sure that the MIDI IN port to which your MIDI keyboard is connected is (still) ticked in a 'Console MIDI IN' row on the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab.

- Also, for now, make sure that none of the virtual MIDI software applications' ports are ticked anyway on that screen tab, or on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab. (If you have any given virtual MIDI port ticked on both tabs you could potentially get MIDI feedback, for example, or perhaps one of the virtual MIDI applications you installed isn't functioning properly.)

- OK the screen.

- Load St. Anne's, and see whether your MIDI keyboard still plays the relevant virtual keyboard in Hauptwerk. If not, try using right-click auto-detection again.

If that still doesn't fix it, and if none of the virtual MIDI activity LEDs flash in Hauptwerk as you press keys on your MIDI keyboard, you could potentially try uninstalling the virtual MIDI applications that you'd installed one by one, rebooting after uninstalling each, and following the above steps again, to see whether the problem was resolved.

I have restarted my computer multiple times and isolated it from the grid as I do not leave it running this has had no effect. I am receiving no MIDI whatsoever as it will not show up in the Carla midi software either. I have mentioned this also to others and I have been told this is likely to be one of the MIDI sequencers that I could not get to work acting as ransomware and has removed MIDI from my computer in order to make me pay for the full version. How do I replace the MIDI drivers?

mdyde

PostThu May 06, 2021 9:13 am

Hello Gedact8,

No remotely reputable software would intentionally break something on your computer.

If your MIDI interface(s) have drivers (as opposed to being 'class-compliant', which means that they use Windows' default/built-in MIDI drivers) then you should be able to download the latest versions of their drivers from their manufacturers' websites. If so, try (re-)installing those, then rebooting the PC for good measure.

I'd suggest you then try running the freeware MIDI-OX ( http://www.midiox.com/ ), with no other software running. In its 'Options | MIDI Devices' screen, make sure that the 'MIDI Input(s)' (MIDI IN ports) to which your MIDI console/keyboard(s) are connected are highlighted, OK that screen, then press keys on your MIDI keyboards. MIDI-OX will show you any MIDI messages that the computer is receiving (via those highlighted/enabled MIDI IN ports).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Gedact8

PostThu May 06, 2021 11:43 am

I just downloaded MIDIOX but I can't seem to make sense of any of the files. The system compatibility listed on their website seems to be designed for Windows 95 and work up to Windows Vista. The site mentions it is accessed though COM in C++ which sounds like I need to use coding software which I can't do as I have never been trained to code. What is this supposed to do? The MIDI keyboard I am using is M-Audio but doesn't seem to have any drivers on their website. I can't get any cheaper consoles as I don't have the space and the dealer I found that had loads of cheaper consoles seems to have disappeared.

As for trying to get a MIDI sequencer to work, I just got a response from a YT comment from someone stating I would need an actual player to work as a multi track sequencer and not a software based sequencer.

I just tried to get Carla and Hauptwerk to communicate with each other as MIDI devices in case it was my keyboard not working but there is nothing showing from HW as MIDI out in the patch bay on Carla and likewise the Carla MIDI out will not show up in Hauptwerk (which I believe should show up even though Carla does not have a standalone player).

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu May 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Hello Gedact8,

To download MIDIOX latest version click this link http://www.midiox.com/zip/midioxse.exe . This the most recent version, dating back to June 2010. The good news is that MIDIOX is compatible with Windows 10. Don't worry you won't need to do some coding, the program is ready to use.

To test your keyboard run the MIDIOX installer. Once installed start MIDI-OX. As explained by Martin, go to Options | MIDI Devices screen and make sure that the 'MIDI Input(s)' (MIDI IN ports) to which your MIDI console/keyboard(s) are connected are highlighted, OK that screen,

Now play some notes on your keyboard, you should see in MIDIOX the MIDI messages received by your computer, confirming that your keyboard is working correctly.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

GrahamH

PostThu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi Gedact8

I sent you a PM.

Graham

Gedact8

PostSun May 23, 2021 4:17 pm

I just get the same message stating there are no MIDI devices despite there being one from my keyboard and should also be one generated from Carla when that is running which is also not showing up.

Gedact8

PostSun Jun 18, 2023 6:19 pm

I managed to get hardware running again but I am trying again to get sequencers to appear, I installed LoopMIDI but after creating an output it does not show under Carla Hauptwerk or any midi software as a device. I have tried to use Organ Assist but that does also not seem to be capable of changing channel data though this might be as I don't have any hardware from the listed organ manufacturers but if I had, they would likely be capable of rerouting MIDI signals without Organ Assist so I can't seem to get it to work with my setup. At the moment I have all these routed to run one MIDI player and it does not seem to work.

Edit: Reworded to make more sense.
Last edited by Gedact8 on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

organassist

PostMon Jun 19, 2023 10:23 am

Hi Gedact8,

If you want to contact me (either PM or via my website) maybe we could chat about this overt the phone. I sometimes think that this kind of issue is easier discussed than written about. I am happy to help if you wish.

David

Gedact8

PostMon Jun 26, 2023 8:48 pm

Is it only possible to use with one of the consoles within the UI? It doesn't seem to be able to send output to Hauptwerk, only show the console is not connected.
Previous

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing