It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3 Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

deWaverley

Re: Bovenkerk Hinsz - Volume 3 Released

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 pm

If you say so, but I think it is generally accepted that slipping off the keys and playing wrong notes is probably undesirable, whatever the 'interpretation'. Also 'Fantasia' means that the composer flits from one mood to another within the piece, rather than that the performer turns eighth notes into whole notes, and quarter notes into 16s at will.

jb

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 1:37 pm

The piece is chosen to illustrate several of the oldest pipes of the organ. Given its purpose and the nature of the piece it is almost ridiculous to discuss what a correct interpretation amounts to. Nevertheless, I would like to add that the parts of the piece have several tempo indications that allow for a wide variety of interpretations. The tempo changes are deliberately chosen, and insofar they amount to a ratio of 1:2 this is done deliberately so.

telemanr

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 pm

deWaverley wrote:If you say so, but I think it is generally accepted that slipping off the keys and playing wrong notes is probably undesirable, whatever the 'interpretation'. Also 'Fantasia' means that the composer flits from one mood to another within the piece, rather than that the performer turns eighth notes into whole notes, and quarter notes into 16s at will.

Performers, at least those who are alive, play wrong notes from time to time. If you want a perfect performance in that regard then you probably don't enjoy live concerts because you'll waste your time worrying about mistakes. Most, if not all, performers who make CDs get bits and pieces spliced into a one final "performance". In fact most of the current singers have their producers using software which corrects their oh so human occasional pitch problems so that no one hears off pitch singing on a CD these days. This performance was a live, unaltered recording which is quite another thing. I think we are too used to "perfect" because that is what we hear daily.

Better played by most children? Not the ones I've heard. Most are at the stage of fairly mechanical reproduction who might play this piece "correctly". I haven't heard too many (none actually) exceptional children produce an entirely musical treatment.

As to "eighth notes into whole notes...at will"-- it is an interpretation. You can dislike it but that's what it is. If you want a literal playing of each and every note, or you have a rule that a note can only be stretched as far as you think proper and only when you think it is appropriate then I think a MIDI file of the piece should suffice. Sadly.

Good heavens the performance was fun. Mozart was full of fun. 'nuff said.
Rob Enns

deWaverley

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 pm

If you really can't see what a grotesque unmusical mess this performance is, then there is indeed little point discussing it. This is a deeply atmospheric and at times poignant composition turned into circus music. 'nuff said, as you say.

imcg110

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Can I offer 2 things to this debate - firstly a demonstration of truly hideous music ( I quite liked the Mozart ) and an important regulatory message from a great man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU-hrxnTId4

Also - on a brighter note, now that Kampen Vol III is out, Salisbury will be with us even sooner!!

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 pm

deWaverley wrote:If you really can't see what a grotesque unmusical mess this performance is, then there is indeed little point discussing it. This is a deeply atmospheric and at times poignant composition turned into circus music. 'nuff said, as you say.

This is just over the top.

I'd suggest a visit to a florist or perhaps a bakery, and a very very long deep breath. Something soothing and good at effecting a reset.

This kind of continuing invective regarding a performance by another organist (of considerable reputation and actual level of musical skill) is totally out of place here. Perhaps it should be taken elsewhere -- a blog somewhere or Twitter -- and at the very least, a rational level of "polite" discussion restored here.
Grant

deWaverley

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 3:12 pm

imcg110 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU-hrxnTId4

8)

Anton Heger

PostWed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm

An introductory offer giving a 10% discount is applied to the pricing on our order page.

And the pricing on the order page says: 269 USD.
Thus, I understand: I have to pay 269 USD minus 10% (plus shipping costs).
Is that correct?

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Oct 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello Anton,

And the pricing on the order page says: 269 USD.
Thus, I understand: I have to pay 269 USD minus 10% (plus shipping costs).
Is that correct?

No, that is the discounted price which is 10% from $299. All of the prices reflect the actual price after the discount. Hence what I wrote above in that the discount is applied to the pricing, sorry if that was confusing for you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Cribo

PostSat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 am

Gert wrote:Very nice demo Christian! (and nice clear sound Brett!)
The improvisation is in Dutch named 'Vreugde, vreugde, louter vreugde'.
See the site of Harm Hoeve / bladmuziek: http://www.harmhoeve.nl/

See: http://www.harmhoeve.nl/files/Vreugde%20vreugde.pdf

Regards,
Gert

Yesterday I received info from Harm Hoeven's represenative for America, so herewith the contact information for you living in America and Canada:

For North America, please order sheet music, CDs, and DVD from Church Music
& Records in Canada at

Sheet Music for Organ
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/inhpu ... prod22.htm

With friendly regards,

Roelof A. Janssen

INHERITANCE PUBLICATIONS
Church Music & Records
BOX 154, NEERLANDIA, ALBERTA
T0G 1R0 CANADA
Tel. 780-674-3949

Check our Web site at:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/inhpubl/webip/ip.htm
E-Mail inhpubl@telusplanet.net

. . . showing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD . . . (Ps.78:4b)

Fokko

PostSat Oct 10, 2009 4:40 am

Hi Brett,

Yesterday I received the DVD at home. Thanks!
The installation from the sample-file failed at some point because of a reading error, I carefully cleaned up the dvd and copied the files at least succesfully to a second harddrive. The third time installation succeeded.

At this stage I cannot play because of difficulties with the midi implementation of redirectional keybords. Have to figure it out (again)...

And just a question: after loading the V3 extended at 24 bit compressed and all options default only 11,88 GB (HW included) is needed. I double checked and the settings are really 24 bit. I wonder why 20 bit compressed is using more RAM (compared to the RAM requirements you described before).

I am using a Mac Pro 2007 16 GB Ram with OS Leopard and HW Advanced.
Fokko Horst

dalest

PostSat Oct 10, 2009 6:42 am

RECIEVED the last DVD today , installing without Problem , very good JOB ! EXCELLENT !!
thank you for all !!

eric Dalest

ps : can we load the combinaisons of the VOLUME 22 EXTENDED on this volume III EXTENDED? and how ?

Fokko

PostSat Oct 10, 2009 7:59 am

Fokko wrote:
At this stage I cannot play because of difficulties with the midi implementation of redirectional keybords. Have to figure it out (again)...

Well, I can play now. Thanks for this beautiful sample set!
Fokko Horst

Fokko

PostFri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi all,

Is there a possibility to play the Bovenwerk and the 2nd Bovenwerk seperately? I would like to play f.e. the Vox Humana against the softer stops like the Fluittravers and/or the Salicionaal.
Fokko Horst

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Oct 17, 2009 1:18 am

Is there a possibility to play the Bovenwerk and the 2nd Bovenwerk seperately? I would like to play f.e. the Vox Humana against the softer stops like the Fluittravers and/or the Salicionaal.

Hello Fokko,

This isn't possible with how the current settings are implemented since we did not add input support for the 2nd Bovenwerk division. We could possibly modify the organ definition file to allow the Bovenwerk 2 manual to be accessible for input by a 5th keyboard which would allow you to connect to it independently from the Bovenwerk 1 manual using another physical keyboard on your console. Since most users do not have that many keyboards and also due to the original layout of the organ we didn't add this feature since we didn't think it would be required or appropriate due to the original instrument's layout.

I'll log this as an enhancement for a possible future update however.

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments