It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

Update to my 3M Modified Litomysl Organ

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Update to my 3M Modified Litomysl Organ

PostWed Jun 23, 2010 8:30 pm

I am happy to announce that my 3-manual version of the popular Litomysl organ has been updated to work with Jiri Zurek's latest 24-bit wet "version 2" samples.

It is important to note that my old organ definition will not work with the new samples since Jiri has renamed many of the relevant folders and included separate release samples. If you are using my 3-manual version of the organ and you upgrade your samples, you must also upgrade my organ.

By the way, the new 24-bit samples are excellent. I have spent a few hours playing them and they are more responsive than before. The reverb tails are much improved too. The sample update is definitely worth the price. I suggest you buy the upgrade now before the price goes up next month.

As always, my organ files can be found at my web site at

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/NBJ ... tware.html

and, as always, they are free. I also provide the CODM source file in case you want to make further modifications or simply see it is written.

Have fun with it!

Les

telemanr

Re: Update to my 3M Modified Litomysl Organ

PostWed Jun 23, 2010 10:01 pm

I just got the new Litomysl Wet and it certainly is much better than the old version.
One thing I noticed is that the Crescendo does not cancel several stops when you undo it. At first I thought it was my pedal but it's not. It's always the same stops (a couple of Pedal couplers etc.) which stay on even though they weren't used in the first 4 or 5 stages. I wonder if others are experiencing the same thing.
And again, the Crescendo destroys any combos already in use which makes it less than useful.
Rob Enns

engrssc

PostWed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 pm

Crescendo, what's that? Only teasing of course. A friend re-programmed his crescendo to become a Master expression pedal. Somehow, and he isn't sharing, he can preset the other 2 exp pedals and when he operates the Master, it tracks them in the same proportions. (Hope I said that right). It's been a long day, 17 hours so far. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

ldeutsch

PostThu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 am

Of course, my version of the Litomysl organ still does not have a crescendo pedal. Although I have successfully used Al Morse's software to add one to my "Expanded Schantz Organ", it was a tough project that include my writing custom software of my own to generate the display page the way I wanted it. I will add crescendo pedals to all of my organs after the future version of the CODM is released, making this a simpler task.

When I do this, they will all work in the same way. The pedal will never affect the positions of the stops and coupler - but rather add to them. The organist can still add or subtract stops in the usual way. When the pedal is released, these stop and coupler positions will remain unchanged. This is the way all organs I have played work - though I understand there are other schemes used in the world.

Les

Morse

PostSat Jun 26, 2010 5:51 am

Hi Les and Rob,

I have a couple of comments on this subject.
First, one of the major improvements to the new Litomysl v2 organ set is the addition of multiple short releases. Since this organ has a lot of reverberation, the short releases are a HUGE improvement when playing anything faster than a slow hymn. I downloaded your new ODF and it seems to ignore the staccato and portato releases. It's certainly possible to add them to CODM organs, but it requires some non-standard post-processing. I would be happy to help you in that since I have done it many times. However, since you choose to wait for Hauptwerk4 and use it's new Crescendo utility, you will probably want to also wait and use the multiple release CODM capability that it should have.

In the meantime, anyone who has upgraded to the new Litomysl v2 will be missing a lot by giving up the multiple release feature.

On the subject of the new Litomysl version 2, Rob Enns noted that "the Crescendo destroys any combos already in use which makes it less than useful". The Crescendo is not the subject of this thread and I don't want to hijack it, so please see a new thread I will start on the Litomysl Crescendo operation.
Al Morse

ldeutsch

PostSat Jun 26, 2010 8:50 am

Al,

If you already have the software to do the post-processing to add multiple releases, then I agree this would make a great addition and I welcome your offer. However, if you need to write the software (which I could also do, I suppose) I suggest we wait for the new HW4 CODM and save ourselves a lot of work. I assume you would start with my CODM, create an uncompressed ODM from it and then run it through a custom software filter to add the appropriate switching.

As to the crescendo pedal, I like the idea of making it flexible so it can behave in whatever way the organist prefers.

Les

mdyde

PostSat Jun 26, 2010 9:22 am

Hello Les/Al,

From your posts above, I think you perhaps have the impression that the Hauptwerk v4.0 CODM will have native functionality to design and lay out your own fully-customisable crescendos within CODM organ definitions. If so, not wishing to be a party-pooper, I'm afraid that isn't the case. We had only said that we do plan to add native support for crescendos within the CODM in the future (not specifically for v4.0). Some additional crescendo functionality will be available in v4.0 generally which will be available for all organs, not just the CODM, and is necessarily fairly basic as a result:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6186&p=42932

We can't really give full details at this stage, but I think it probably won't give the level of functionality and customisability that you (Les and Al) are aiming for, so you might prefer to continue with programming your own in the full-format organ definitions for now (which can of course be as complex and customised as you like).

We do still plan to implement native support for crescendos within CODM definitions in the longer-term future, but it would probably be fairly simple and standardised so that it keeps the CODM organ definition format sufficiently compact and manageable for most people to learn and edit easily.

Sorry - I know that you (Les) particularly want that feature, but hopefully you'll find lots of other major and worthwhile enhancements in v4.0 in the meantime (including some other significant CODM enhancements that I think you'll like, although I can't give details yet).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostSat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 am

Martin,

Thanks for the clarification. I still prefer to wait to see what will be included in HW4 and the new CODM before undertaking a major project. I am looking forward to HW4 and the many enhancements (whatever they may be) that will accompany its release! Keep up the great work!

Les

Morse

PostSat Jun 26, 2010 10:11 am

Les,

Yes, I do have the necessary software to add multiple releases to CODM generated organs. It's a little less user-friendly than the Crescendo program but I'm sure you could handle it if you can't wait for Hauptwerk v4. I notice that Martin did not deny that Hauptwerk v4 will have native multiple release capability in it's CODM system.
Al Morse

Return to Hauptwerk instruments