It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Four-manual 'Glacier' Organ

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JEdge

Four-manual 'Glacier' Organ

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 5:37 am

I am currently building an organ console for use with HW2.

It will feature four-manuals, and the shape of the case is modelled on my beloved Harrison and Harrison organ at Peterborough Cathedral (UK) where I had my first lessons so many years ago.

There will be a crescendo and 3 expression pedals, toe pistons, thumb pistons (divisional and generals).

Stop jambs will be touchscreens (driven by a modified version of JOrgan).

(Note: expression pedals and toe pistons not shown in this 3D mockup)

The beauty is that, as a 'touring' recital organ, this will be *portable*. The design is essentially three clear Perspex shelves supported by a number of vertical fins made from frosted Perspex. Part of the design brief I set myself was that the organ should be capable of assembly inside 1 hour, and I think that's achievable.

The design is more than just functional; As the console will be controlling a 'virtual' organ, I wanted to give the suggestion that the console is also virtual - almost not there. I'm calling the organ The Glacier.

The sound engine will be HW2 (of course!), and the machine will (initially) comprise four dual-core (i.e. 8 cores) 64-bit Opteron 875s with 8GB RAM, running on Windows XP 64bit. Multichannel (8) output will be via a MOTU 828.

If anyone can advise me on the best amplification and speaker configuration for this organ for venues such as large churches and halls it would be would be greatly appreciated. I would like to make use of the multi-channel capability of HW2. I also need to make sure that amplifiers are not unduly noisy.

BTW the idea is that once I have the prototype I will be able to make a variety of console sizes available for purchase (console alone, or as a complete organ - i.e. a console with a suitable PC driving both HW2 and the touchscreens). I am also looking forward to getting out and doing some sampling, so there will be some sample sets to follow too. :D I was thinking of using a Soundfield MkV (or SPS422B) for this - I'd be interested to hear any comments people had on this idea. It seems a logical choice because the phase errors between the four capsules are resolved to zero by the processor. I've had excellent results from this in the past, and have recorded a wide variety of music and events (including weddings) with it.

Thanks to Martin for such vision. The software is fantastic, as is everything supporting the product and its community. Though fairly new to the latter, I am looking forward to getting more involved.

Best wishes,

Jason Edge
Last edited by JEdge on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

mdyde

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 5:51 am

Thanks, Jason.

That will certainly be quite an instrument!

Very good luck with it all.

Martin.

cdatzko

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am

Dear Jason,

this looks cool. I thought about designing my own organ console, too, but since it will take 10 years or more for this to become true I haven't pushed it a lot lately. But now ... which software did you use to generate the model? That would allow me to play around and create some alternatives for later reuse...

Christian.

JEdge

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 12:13 pm

cdatzko wrote:Dear Jason,

this looks cool. I thought about designing my own organ console, too, but since it will take 10 years or more for this to become true I haven't pushed it a lot lately. But now ... which software did you use to generate the model? That would allow me to play around and create some alternatives for later reuse...

Christian.

Hi Christian.

Thanks.

I used 3D Studio Max.

Jason

prinzipal

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 pm

It looks really cool. Because I also plan building my own console, I am downloading 3DStudio Max, could You send me Your projektfiles, so I haven't to design the pedlboard and the manuals and so on again. lucbu@tiscali.de

That would be great!

Regards,
Johan Eggers

prinzipal

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks, no need for sending Your project files anymore, I am designing with SketchUp5, it isn't so difficult, I will be able to make it on my own.

Greetings,
Johan Eggers

GDay

PostFri Jun 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Hello Jason,
Congratulations on your concept and design of the Glacier Organ, very nifty indeed.
I hope you will keep us updated on your progress.

G'Day

JEdge

PostSat Jun 24, 2006 10:45 am

Thanks for the welcome and for the kind comments everyone.

A couple of people have expressed interest in having access to my Max 3DS files to help with their own console designs, and I am very happy to help. I will be putting up a website for Edge Of Sound - a new division of my Edge Logic Ltd company (IT consultancy - day job :wink: ) and under this brand I will handle music, recording, and sample-set related things.

Bear with me, and I will have a link to the Max 3DS files on the new website very soon. These will include models of the pedalboard, bench and a manual (modelled on the Classic Organ Works CMK range - I have just bought four of these). I'm sure you will understand if I don't include the full drawing of the Glacier organ iteself, as the design is copyright and I want to sell consoles built to that design!

Best wishes,

Jason :D

GDay

PostSat Jun 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Jason,

What a fascinating new enterprise for the HW Universe. I wish you great success.

G'Day

JEdge

PostSat Jun 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks G'Day

I grew up wanting to be an organ builder, but didn't have a head for heights!

What an irony if I get there through this route. In any case, I'm going to have great fun demonstrating the instrument in recitals

Jason :D

raswirsky

Beautiful!

PostMon Jul 31, 2006 12:29 pm

I've been looking for simple reliable console designs, and I really like this approach! I can't wait to see photos of the finished project.

And portability is a great idea! The more people that can see and hear organists, the better!

...one other project I'd love to see is a pedalboard that can fit under a grand piano---"notched out" for the pianos pedals, but otherwise functional. And a Hauptwerk pedal-only organ to go with it. This would give pianists who like to play organ music an interesting way to practice/play.
--
Robert Swirsky, Theme Park Photo, LLC
http://www.themeparkphoto.com/

Gamba

PostMon Jul 31, 2006 1:25 pm

clarté

Best regards, Matthias Paulus

jwillans

PostFri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

Hi Jason,

Did you make available your 3D studio files? I'm interested to know any progress you've made with this instrument. I'm also designing a new console which will use touch screens, I'm interested to know whether you have researched these in any detail?

Thanks,

James

engrssc

PostSat Mar 17, 2007 12:30 am

I notice the 4 manual idea downsized to 3, or is this an additional model? Also, considering the idea of it being a touring organ, are you considering "shipping" the console in padded cases or such? Last question, what has evolved regarding the touch screens?

Great contemporary design!

Rgds,
Ed

OrganGrinder

PostSat Mar 17, 2007 4:31 am

hi

i have only just seen this thread for the first time.

what a fantastic idea, using frosted perspex.

from what i understand, windows xp pro will only support upto 2 processors, if you want to use more you will have to get a business or enterprise copy of windows. i have been considering the use of 4 or 8 processors myself, but honestly, do we really need that much horsepower (and expense) because dual processor systems can play more than 4000 pipes at the moment anyway.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing