It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

Preview of upcoming instrument by MDA

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Preview of upcoming instrument by MDA

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 3:00 am

We thought we'd share a teaser demo with you from our upcoming instrument for Hauptwerk 4. I'm still not giving away the details of the organ itself, but feel free to discuss amongst yourselves if you like!

As mentioned in some other threads, we're working on a smaller 2 manual romantic organ which should be released mid-December.

The organ will be an ideal practice instrument and a performance instrument with the options we are implementing. It will be the first of its kind for MDA and we think that you will really like what we're doing.

Organist & Church microphone perspectives

There will be two microphone perspectives (organist and church) which may be mixed by the organist in real-time with the on-screen controls for an ideal balance of wet vs. distant (but not too distant) based on your preference.

Ideal for practice and learning

Practice and record yourself with the Hauptwerk MIDI recorder using the organist perspective for clarity while playing, then play back your MIDI recording with the church perspective to hear how you would sound in the church (without having to walk downstairs!). You get the best of both worlds and both perspectives are fully playable in their own right, or sound great when played together with any mix ratio. No reloading is required and everything may be done on the fly using the on screen controls we provide.

Surround

Those used to surround instruments can set the church perspective to route to rear speakers using the Advanced Edition of Hauptwerk and have a surround set up, or play both perspectives through the same stereo outputs in the Basic Edition of Hauptwerk, either way will yield a great sonic result.

Affordable

We will be pricing this instrument so that nearly everyone that has a license for Hauptwerk can afford to play it.

The following beta demo uses just the church perspective. Please note this is a BETA so it is far from finished. You can hear a bum loop in the flute on note G, apologies for that, even the loops are in beta. ;)

We hope you enjoy this demo of Vierne's Choral from Symphonie 2, as recorded by Daniel Cook (originally recorded for the Salisbury Willis volume 2 demos).

Stay tuned for further details and enjoy the new demo...
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

Re: Preview of upcoming instrument by MDA

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 am

With tongue in check, already asking when a 3M version would be available probably isn't a "correct" question, so I won't ask it. (But the thoughts are there). Sounds like fantastically useful features. Thanks for the tease, Brett. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 10:00 am

I'm curious about the implementation of perspectives... does the variable mixing use just pre-recorded sample data, or is there software manipulation (convolution reverb or something of that nature) going on as well? Are you able to share a few more details on how that works?

Mike 353

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 am

Wow! Looking forward to more information about it-and more demos, please???????
Mike

Stefanussen

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 pm

sonar11 wrote:I'm curious about the implementation of perspectives... does the variable mixing use just pre-recorded sample data, or is there software manipulation (convolution reverb or something of that nature) going on as well? Are you able to share a few more details on how that works?

Hi sonar11, there is no convolution or other special software manipulation. We're using sampled acoustics, which is a plus in our book!
Rob Stefanussen

engrssc

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 pm

Stefanussen wrote:Hi sonar11, there is no convolution or other special software manipulation. We're using sampled acoustics, which is a plus in our book!

Which means this "feature" has to be included in the "original" by sample set creator(s), yes?

Rgds,
Ed

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Hello Ed,

It's a feature that we implemented within the instrument itself using the tools available within the organ file format, it is not a Hauptwerk software function.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

untersatz32

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Hmmmmm, that seems to me an original - or later built copied - Instrument in the Cavaille-Coll Tradition (or from one of his pupils/admirers/contemporaries), like his "Orgues de Choeur" or smaller to medium Organs.

We have Traverse Flutes, fine Strings and some reeds, including a 16' Basson or smaller Trumpet/Bombarde 16', and a deep mixture. Fantastic sound!

Very interesting! :D

Greetings Thomas
Last edited by untersatz32 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sonar11

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Stefanussen wrote:
sonar11 wrote:I'm curious about the implementation of perspectives... does the variable mixing use just pre-recorded sample data, or is there software manipulation (convolution reverb or something of that nature) going on as well? Are you able to share a few more details on how that works?

Hi sonar11, there is no convolution or other special software manipulation. We're using sampled acoustics, which is a plus in our book!

Perfect, I'm happy to hear that :) I hope that eventually this sort of feature becomes standard (like how surround channels are now almost required too).

Wibo

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello,

Are we going to guess this organ like SP-mystery-organs in the past ?
Only if the picture is fom the real one... :roll:

Wibo

bourdon

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 am

The dual recording "from the nave" and "from the organis't bench" is an excellent new feature we have been discussing and hoped for some time ago on this forum ! Thanks for making it available !

ajt

PostSat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 am

untersatz32 wrote:Hmmmmm, that seems to me an original - or later built copied - Instrument in the Cavaille-Coll Tradition (or from one of his pupils/admirers/contemporaries), like his "Orgues de Choeur" or smaller to medium Organs.

We have Traverse Flutes, fine Strings and some reeds, including a 16' Basson or smaller Trumpet/Bombarde 16', and a deep mixture. Fantastic sound!

Yes I wondered that too, perhaps somewhere like farnborough abbey? http://www.cavaille-coll.co.uk/ I suspect not that particular organ if the above photo is from the instrument in question.
Adrian

PeterD

PostFri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 am

No not Farnborough Abbey

You have to disappear behind the High Altar to play it !
Be careful what you set your heart on......you may achieve it.

kaspencer

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 7:39 am

Indeed I too would doubt very much that it would be the Mutin-Cavaille-Coll in Farnborough Abbey. I had a short play on that organ some time ago.

What I do remember is the explanation by Neil Wright of just how careful they are at the Abbey to ensure that the area behind the altar, where the organ is situated, is respected. I am sure that this would make it unlikely that agreement for its recording would be obtained.

Incidentally, to my ear, the sound of the organ at Forcalquier, which is also a Mutin-Cavaille-Coll instrument, has a lot in common with the Farnborough instrument.

Ken.
Kenneth Spencer
Music Site: http://www.my-music.mywire.org
Project Page: http://www.my-music.mywire.org/opus_ii.htm
Books on Hauptwerk and Computing; Novation Launchpad overlays: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kaspencer
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/kaspenceruk

sesquialtera

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 8:07 am

I've got the "Paris-Mainz" Cavaillé-Coll organ (OrganArtMedia).

http://www.organartmedia.com/cavaille-coll

This sound bank is old, in HW1 format, but I still use it some times,
and the demo of the upcoming MDA instrument makes me think about it.

The size and caracteristics of the two organs might be quite the same ...
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments