It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

Silbermann, St. George -HW2

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Silbermann, St. George -HW2

PostWed Oct 11, 2006 10:52 pm

Greetings. We're approaching the release of the St. Georgenkirche Silbermann for HW2 in approximately 2 weeks or so. I thought you might like to have a look at the virtual console and also the stop controls pages.

As all of our HW2 sets are, the console is detailed and lifelike down to every detail. Perhaps one of the most realistic features (besides the sounds of course) is the way in which the stop knobs move. Once there are some demos ready I'll create another video demonstration so everyone may see what I mean. It is 3D at its best! Everything is included from mechanical coupling action to shove couplers on the Oberwerk manual. All stop noise, tremulant noise, blower noise, coupler noise and key and pedal action noise are of course included. There is even another special treat which will be quite hard to find, even for those who look!

Full size images found here http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/images/st-george-hw2-console-lg.jpg
and here www.milandigitalaudio.com/images/st-geo ... ols-lg.jpg

You notice on the second page (touch screen) that there are 10 knobs down the center numbered 1-10 and also two marked S(SET) and C(GENERAL CANCEL). 1-10 are Generals which were added to facilitate registration changes. Thus you can set and cancel just as a normal combination action would allow. While adding extra features it was decided to also add some red LEDs for each latching stop on this page to easily determine which stops or couplers are drawn.

For those who like to be more authentic the main console page is also large enough to use for stop controls on a touch screen if you like. You may want to hire a registrant!

We'll be getting demos ready in the next week or so and then begin taking preorders. At that time I will give more details on orders and upgrades.

I hope you like the screenshots!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

bcollins

PostWed Oct 11, 2006 11:09 pm

Absolutely beautiful Brett! Now that is exactly what I want for dual touchscreens. If only I could get the sample set completely dry...
oh well.

Good work indeed.
Bob Collins

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Absolutely beautiful Brett! Now that is exactly what I want for dual touchscreens. If only I could get the sample set completely dry...
oh well.

Good work indeed.

Thanks for the compliment Bob!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

polikimre

instead of LEDs

PostThu Oct 12, 2006 1:08 pm

This looks absolutely awesome!

However, I have one small remark. In the touchscreen version I find the red LEDs a bit strange, for me it would look better to light up the middle of the knobs (the white spot) to indicate that they are active. This way also the combination pistons could be lit up, so that we can know which one was last used.

Anyways, it looks great. Thanks for making this possible.

Imre Polik

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostThu Oct 12, 2006 1:41 pm

This looks absolutely awesome!

However, I have one small remark. In the touchscreen version I find the red LEDs a bit strange, for me it would look better to light up the middle of the knobs (the white spot) to indicate that they are active. This way also the combination pistons could be lit up, so that we can know which one was last used.

Anyways, it looks great. Thanks for making this possible.

Thank you Imre,

A lot of time was spent trying out different methods to show the stop staus on the 2nd display page. I decided on the red LEDs since they are obvious and can easily and quickly be seen. You can also notice that the engaged stops are also slightly larger than the others. I think if it were just the small white circle becoming brighter that it would still be difficult to quickly determine which stop was engaged. As I mentioned it was done this way for ease of use and of course LEDs are not found on real Silbermann organs, but then again, this is all digital anyway, so why not?! The 2nd display pages are always meant to create an easy method for the user and may not always be authentic to the original console, hence there is always the main console page for that purpose.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

davidgarner16

PostThu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Hi Brett - your post is timely, as I was pondering between your
HW1 version of this set and the HW2 version of a slightly
smaller instrument by OrganArt media. Glad its coming
out in HW2. What will the price be, roughly? Is there any
way of pre-ordering before release?

David.

[)Naeryl(]

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 8:11 am

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 11:20 am

Hi Brett - your post is timely, as I was pondering between your
HW1 version of this set and the HW2 version of a slightly
smaller instrument by OrganArt media. Glad its coming
out in HW2. What will the price be, roughly? Is there any
way of pre-ordering before release?

David.

Hello David,

I believe pricing will be as follows:

Upgrades from existing HW 1.2 customers to v. 2 = $75 USD
New price for HW v. 2 = $440 USD

If you can't wait until I get the order pages ready in another 1 and a half weeks or so please contact me privately if you feel you would want to place a preorder sooner. That is no problem and we can make sure you get one of the first shipments.

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 pm

I would also like to make a point to say that the samples for v. 2 have been totally REDONE from the original recordings at 24 bit 48kHz. (Hence the reason for a longer delay in its release!) Better noise reduction methods were used as well as the full length of the samples, some up to 8-10 seconds!!! V. 1 was created to fit comfortably in under 1.5GB of ram, therefore short loops were used and then the unused portions of samples were deleted from the files. Of course multiple loops have been added, some samples up to 8 or 9 loops while also keeping short loops to enable the organ to load in smaller amounts of memory. Not quite there yet to post memory requirements, but with short loops only I believe the entire organ should fit in under 1.5GB at 16 bit. Note that the samples are 48kHz as opposed to 44.1kHz in v. 1 so they will be slightly larger even if loop sizes are similar.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Jim Reid

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 12:45 pm

[)Naeryl(] note the following:

Other contrasts between OrganARTmedia and Milan Digital Audio:

Milan offers very attractive "upgrade" pricing for those of us who earlier
bought HW1 versions of organs now soon to be released in HW2 format.
So far, OrganARTmedia is not.

Also, note that the Milan Silberman is recorded, and may be played
back at 24 bit 48kHz, while the other by OrganART is at 16 bit, 44kHz.
Jim Reid

mdyde

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Hello Jim,

Milan offers very attractive "upgrade" pricing for those of us who earlier
bought HW1 versions of organs now soon to be released in HW2 format.
So far, OrganARTmedia is not.

OrganArt Media does have v1 to v2 upgrade pricing:

http://www.organartmedia.com/Ordering.html

Best regards,
Martin.

Jim Reid

PostFri Oct 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Ooops!!!

Turns out the upgrade price list was off the right edge of my
monitor screen. Never saw them until just now, Martin. I had
to scroll way to the right to see that added column. His
75 Euro upgrade is significantly lower than the 395 full price.

My apologies to you, the list, and to Prof. Maier!
Jim Reid

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Oct 15, 2006 12:46 am

Hello. In response to Imre Polik's comment on the LED lights I wanted to get some opinions on what your thoughts were without the LEDs and using Imre's method to darken the in position and lighten the out position white dots. A screen shot is here:

www.milandigitalaudio.com/images/stgeor ... no-LED.jpg

Personally I think it is OK but may be a bit hard to tell for some. Since we are creating this geared for the users we want to make it look and function according to your needs, so please let me know if you would rather me keep the red LEDs, or to omit them. They are currently still part of the file, this jpeg was digitally edited to remove them. It is a matter of a few minutes to delete them from the ODF so it is no problem if the majority of people want them removed. If I do not get enough feedback then they will remain as part of the file.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

gingercat

PostSun Oct 15, 2006 4:25 am

Can't really see much difference between engaged/off stops on that image - I think the "off" stops need to be much darker. On the whole, it looks pretty good though!

Regards,
Chris.

MRGreenwood

PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:09 am

Brett

I can't readily spot the difference either. I think it needs to be sufficiently clear that whilst you are playing, you could glance at the screen to check whether a particular stop is engaged. For me it would be borderline whether I'd spot this in the course of a fleeting glance at the screen.

Martin G
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments